Grizzly 0704 dead

How about another pic just a bit more to the right? I would like to see the condition of the commutator where the brushes ride.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65077&d=1385606651&thumb=1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

if you see the brush springs have gotten hot, are loose and collapsed, the brushes need to be replaced. it appears that they are shot.
without the proper brush holder cap, the brush will not be able to make a good contact with the armature, the pressure that the spring produces will be un acceptable and it will heat up more and get destroyed.
order a set of brushes for it and the proper cap.
the motor problem may have developed from the board being a problem and im clueless about electronics, just a bit knowlegable about small motors as I use to repair them for a living for many years. .
sorry, I can't spell any longer.:)
davidh

attachment.php?attachmentid=65033&d=1385513141&thumb=1.jpg

Good call David! I missed the condition of the springs my first time around. I think I was looking at the length of the brushes. Yep, them springs have sprung their last! They're toast! REPLACE the brushes. I bet you'll see continuity across the motor wires then then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65077&d=1385606651&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=65033&d=1385513141&thumb=1.jpg

the armature does look good but only a growler could tell for sure. I have one of those here, send me the armature and i'll test it. are the bearings free turning on the machine ? sometimes they go to hell and cause the motor to heat up and cause the brush springs to get so hot they loose their tension, as they have done. another problem could be the field coils. . . one side shorted and same problem. . occurs. check each half of the fields, they should show the same ohm reading or very close to it. . . .

then again, as prev. mentioned, a motor shop can test it too and rebuild it for a flat rate, not really cheap but done anyway. or you could send it to me. . . . .

image.jpg

Here is a picture of the armature, I think it looks good, Will order a set of brushes and caps and see what happens, Also have the board mad other motor coming

image.jpg

View attachment 65196

Here is a picture of the armature, I think it looks good, Will order a set of brushes and caps and see what happens, Also have the board mad other motor coming

Nice and clear pic!
Personally, I'd clean that up on a lathe. The place where the brushes ride is called the commutator. It should be bright and free from nicks. Looks like the brushes were allowed to wear down to the springs at one time.

How do the bearings feel?

image.jpgWhile waiting for parts to arrive I took a red scotch brite pad and lightly rubbed the armature, This pic shows the cleaned armature, I think I looks fine.

image.jpg

Yup a good cleaning job on the armayure!!! It will surprise you what even a small burn on one will cause. Any other leads on what caused the issue and what it is gonna take to get it fixed again?

Bob

If your parts and cleaning don't do it, you might contact the Grizzly motor winding shop. Maybe cheap or free advice from someone that works on exactly what you are. best of luck

Ok. Update if interested, Got a replacement motor and controller board from another forum member. Tested new motor with a battery charger and it runs, yea. Took burshes out of new motor and installed in the motor I cleaned up and that one runs also. So a new set of brushes and I will have a spare motor. Took the new motor and connected it to the switch and plugged machine in and nothing, I did not hear the switch click so I went back to the other board and checked for 110 voltage where the power come to the board. Nothing, check fuse blown.

question. If you plug the machine in and have the forward reverse switch set to neutral is the digital display supposed to light up and show 0000. Days earlier when I had pulled the motor and there was power to the board the display did not light. I have not seen it light yet.
looking at the circuit board I think the AC goes thru a disc with wire wound around it, then to the transformer with should convert the 110 to 12vdc but I couldn't not find any dc voltage coming out of the transformer, I probed all spots on the circuit board where transformer was soldered to the board. I had 110 at the board and coming thru the coil wrapped disc and to the transformer but found not find any dc voltage

Now if I can only find where I put that spare fuse I bought

question. If you plug the machine in and have the forward reverse switch set to neutral is the digital display supposed to light up and show 0000. Days earlier when I had pulled the motor and there was power to the board the display did not light. I have not seen it light yet.
look

Now if I can only find where I put that spare fuse I bought

I just today fixed the spindle speed readout on my g0704 today with a new sensor. With the direction switch in neutral the readout will display 0000 for a second then show 0 when the start button is held in for a few seconds then go out when the button is released, hope that helps a little, good luck with your repair.

Back