Grizzly G0602z bad lathe ?

I mostly use 1/8" to 3/8" HSS tool bits with my 602. There is far less grinding involved with the smaller tools and the increase in rigidity is lost on a small lathe like the 602. However, my insert tooling has 12mm shanks.

The modification of the compound was one of my first on the 602 and I highly recommend it. I designed a 6 bolt clamp for mine. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/improved-g0602-compound-clamp.34796/

A commercial kit is available based on that design. I believe that Peter Belfanti is the manufacturer.
Peter Belfanti
Belfanti Machine Works
www.belfantimachineworks.com

I think he has a standard 4 way tool post, like the one in the picture here: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-x-22-Benchtop-Metal-Lathe-with-DRO/G0602Z#

That nylon-looking spacer is odd, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there. I don't see it anywhere in their manuals. That said, I'm not sure that makes up 1/2 inch, does it?

Can you take a picture of the whole thing assembled with the tool post on it? Perhaps it will be more clear then.
sorry the pic is slightly misleading, i had just received the T10166 and set up by eyeballing noting it will be even higher thus the t-blank.
attached is two pics ,,,, called grizzly today and they said send of of each - tail stock is ok and then the other is higher

Attachments

• tail stock centerline.jpg
    tail stock centerline.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 100
  • tooling centerline.jpg
    tooling centerline.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 86
The 4 way tool post for my 602 measures .892" to the top of a 1/2" tool bit. This is very slightly below the spindle axis. Replacing with a 1/4" tool bit should drop the top surface by .250" and you should be well below the center with no shims.

An AXA QCTP works with the 602 but to use 1/2" tooling, an XL tool holder must be used. I find that the Shars tool holders work the best. No problem using smaller tooling. I have the T10166 set myself.

from top of bit to top sq holder is .66 / / / from top of slide to top of bit is .9 / / 3.29 top of slide to top carriage
i picked up some h.f. .25" cutters and they are about .1 to high

I think he has a standard 4 way tool post, like the one in the picture here: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-x-22-Benchtop-Metal-Lathe-with-DRO/G0602Z#

That nylon-looking spacer is odd, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there. I don't see it anywhere in their manuals. That said, I'm not sure that makes up 1/2 inch, does it?

Can you take a picture of the whole thing assembled with the tool post on it? Perhaps it will be more clear then.
pic of 1/2 tool

Attachments

• tooling centerline.jpg
    tooling centerline.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80
I mostly use 1/8" to 3/8" HSS tool bits with my 602. There is far less grinding involved with the smaller tools and the increase in rigidity is lost on a small lathe like the 602. However, my insert tooling has 12mm shanks.

The modification of the compound was one of my first on the 602 and I highly recommend it. I designed a 6 bolt clamp for mine. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/improved-g0602-compound-clamp.34796/

A commercial kit is available based on that design. I believe that Peter Belfanti is the manufacturer.
Peter Belfanti
Belfanti Machine Works
www.belfantimachineworks.com
thank you - - I see the pic and lt looks like will not swivel ???? but lower down and possibly correcting my problem of height ?

In your picture you show a blank T-nut resting on the carriage, are you trying to use that in addition to the one that's already in the compound? I'm assuming you have an AXA QCTP since that's what is called for on a 10" lathe. They normally come with the blank that is in your photo which is meant to be cut down to resemble the one in your compound. If the one in the compound will work with your QCTP then there's no need to modify the blank. Trying to sandwich the blank in with what you already have in the compound would give the error you've described. Apologies if this isn't the case.

Cheers,

John
sorry about the pic, just received qctp and set blank on carriage ,,,,, was just wondering why not re drill and tap new larger threads in old tool rest side plate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, although this is not my problem its figuring out why so dang high ha

think the nylon-looking spacer is about .1 thk,,,,,,,,,,, standard tool post that came with lathe - - is about .3 high attached is pic
thks

Attachments

• tooling centerline.jpg
    tooling centerline.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 76
The 4 way tool post for my 602 measures .892" to the top of a 1/2" tool bit. This is very slightly below the spindle axis. Replacing with a 1/4" tool bit should drop the top surface by .250" and you should be well below the center with no shims.

An AXA QCTP works with the 602 but to use 1/2" tooling, an XL tool holder must be used. I find that the Shars tool holders work the best. No problem using smaller tooling. I have the T10166 set myself.
attached is pic of measurement at 4.2 inches ,,,,, would you be about the same ???? thks

Attachments

• 4.2 inches.jpg
    4.2 inches.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
I measured a total of 4.101" from the top of the saddle ways to my spindle centerline. I put a 1/2" bit in my 4 way tool holder and measured 3.997". Additionally, I measured the individual components that make up the distance. It breaks down like this: 4-way + 1/2" tool bit to top of bit, .903", thickness of cross slide, .902"; thickness of compound and slide, 1.378"; distance from top of cross slide to bottom of compound assembly, .798" for a total of 3.981".

From your photo, it looks like the difference is coming in between the cross slide and the compound. My guess is that a design change was made to increase the clearance to make accessing the clamp bolts easier.

The current specification for the swing over cross slide is 6-1/8" for a top of cross slid to spindle axis of 3.062" which agrees fairly well with my measured 3.080", I would suggest that you make that measurement. If I am correct, you should find that distance to be similar. Then measure the thickness of the cross slide assembly. Again, you should find about 1.38". Measure the thickness of the bottom flange of the 4-way and add 1/2". Yous should be close to .90". If all these are correct, then the only distance left is the distance created by the compound dial. F4rom my SolidWorks models of the 602, the compound dial is .791". The flange on the dial measures .260" and the boss measures .531" I expect that you will find yours to be more like 1" My guess is that the increased the height of the boss.

An old style compound dial, P/N P0602205, should clear up the problem. I have found Grizzly customer service to be very responsive to my issues. They should send you a new dial. It helps to provide them with all of your findings. You can PM me if you need any more help.

I see several goofy things in the picture:
1)The gap between the clamp piece and the cross slide is excessive- should only be 15 or 20 thou and the piece should be good quality hard steel to minimize bending when the nuts are tightened; probably isn't- looks like about 100 thou or more gap there
2)The clearance above the clamp nuts also excessive- should be enough room for an open-end wrench but no more- another 100 thou too much there
3) Tool post looks too thick by perhaps 50 thou or more on the bottom side

Altogether that's close to a quarter inch of error- no wonder it doesn't match up- I think RJ is right, most of the problem is the dial being too tall in two places
An extreme example of import lathes being "kits" that require finishing
Mark

Last edited:
Back