Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

Yes its on sale all year in 2015 though Grizzly reserves the right to discontinue the sale at any time. If I buy a 1640 the PM RML 1640V is currently the front runner. The PM has some distinct advantages, for one its single phase so no RPC required. No sales tax vs with the Grizzly I'd have to pay sales tax.

Is the lathe from the Grizzly store in Washington?
If they are shipping it from another store in another state, I'd argue the sales tax issue.
I believe that only applies to buying from the store in the State you live in.

Is the lathe from the Grizzly store in Washington?
If they are shipping it from another store in another state, I'd argue the sales tax issue.
I believe that only applies to buying from the store in the State you live in.

You would lose that argument, the rule is if the retailer has a brick and motor store in your state which they do in Washington then you pay the sales tax even if the product ships from one of their out of state warehouses. That said in this case due to the size/weight of the lathe Grizzly's only policy is they would only ship me that lathe from their Washington warehouse due to shipping costs.

I have ordered plenty of things from Walmart that shipped from their warehouse in another state and was never charged sale tax.
There is a Walmart in every state as far as I know.

Coolidge, here is another option for you. A YAM 17x60, made in Taiwan.

00n0n_6eax792Hr7C_600x450_zpsnt6gxzfj.jpg

$4800 in the Seattle craigslist.

Coolidge- Grizzly 10% off coupon just showed up (good 10-13 to 10-20). What to buy...

I'm done with China tmarks which knocks out a lot of Grizzly machines

I'm done with China tmarks which knocks out a lot of Grizzly machines
That YAM is made in Taiwan. I have heard good things about them. Sometimes sold under the name "Cadillac". You might need a bigger shop to put it in.

Yam 17x60 Metal Lathe. Large Travel-Dial on the carriage, steady rest, D1-6 cam lock spindle, 7.5 hp, pressure lube on the carriage and apron, high pressure lube on the headstock, large satin dials, KDK quick change tool post, rare 2 Speed tailstock transmission, coolant pump system, hard and ground ways, hard ground screws, hard and ground gears. This is a copy of a Mori Seiki made in Tawain and is very Highest Quality.

Probably a cut above the quality of the G0670. For 1/3 the price (or even cheaper, since usually large machinery is a buyer's market).

That YAM is made in Taiwan. I have heard good things about them. Sometimes sold under the name "Cadillac". You might need a bigger shop to put it in.

Probably a cut above the quality of the G0670. For 1/3 the price (or even cheaper, since usually large machinery is a buyer's market).

That Grizzly G0670 is built in Taiwan also.... same factory that makes the Jet Professional Elite series of lathes, ACRA, Kent, and many others.... don't confuse its quality with other lower cost "Chinese" lathes that Grizzly also sells.

After talking with Matt at PM I think the Grizzly lathe is manufactured at a different factory. It has the odd triple V ways which none of these other RML lathes have. Matt said the factory where his RML lathe is made has never heard of such a lathe.

Back