Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

The coupon drops the price on that lathe to $12,145 which is damn tempting. Assuming I can get $3k for my G04003G that drops it to $9,145. I'm already upside down on the G4003G do I drop another $2,000 on it building a new stand and converting it to variable speed, vs $7,145 more I can upgrade to the 16x40. Hence I'm discombobulated.

The coupon drops the price on that lathe to $12,145 which is damn tempting. Assuming I can get $3k for my G04003G that drops it to $9,145. I'm already upside down on the G4003G do I drop another $2,000 on it building a new stand and converting it to variable speed, vs $7,145 more I can upgrade to the 16x40. Hence I'm discombobulated.

Old Chinese proverb "It is better to be discombobulated and $7145.00 richer than to be disappointed and $7145.00 poorer."
O.K. O.K. I will quit jerking your chain. Only you know what is right for you. Good luck with your decision.

Darrell

There is what looks like an above-average condition 18x40 lathe on Craigslist.... either little use or a better job of "owner refurbished" than you normally see.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tld/4941235613.html

00o0o_kjsLWlxpl8p_600x450_zps6poh4uyh.jpg

No price, however, which is generally a bad sign.

tmarks wait for it...wait for it...the guy wants $27,000 which is more than this lathe cost brand new 14 years ago lol. My brother found a Mori last year in this condition for $12k.

FINAL - my 10% off discount code in hand, bursting with excitement and time running out, my shopping cart filled...I ran the numbers again. Lathe, QCTP, tool holders, chuck, backing plate, RPC, DRO (slot machine jackpot sound effect) $19,000 and that's before tools and inserts, what a wallet melt down that would be. :dejected: I asked myself what are my lathe needs seriously? The answer is my lathe needs are basic. I can hit 10ths with my current lathe, its already tricked out with all these things. There really isn't a compelling reason to own a 16x40 other than I wanted one. Well I want a Haas Mini Mill 2 more so its final, I'm keeping my current lathe.

Not wanting to let the discount code I schemed to get go to waste I did join the PBA club today and purchased some more Aloris tool holders! :encourage:

hmmm, I am guessing that at that price he is going to be overwhelmed with a rush of buyers throwing cash at him.

For those prices, you are within reaching distance of a decent Haas SL20, and anybody with that kind of cash to drop won't be doing it on a manual lathe.

Good choice on the PBA chuck vs the new lathe, IMHO. Have you stuck a 3 phase motor on your 4003G? Some people wear it makes a big difference as it gets rid of some vibrations (I would think the gears head would be more of a factor). A lot of work, thought. I might end up doing that one of these days.

While you are in the buying mood, there is 25% off at Enco today, no exclusions. BACK25. :devil:

A new Aloris is calling my name... but I think I need to new chuck more than a new tool post. And Grizzly (surprisingly enough) seems to have the best prices on name brand chucks around.

I bought my Bison 5C from them with the 10% coupon last year. I let the veterans discount expire last month... wished I had jumped on a new 3 jaw...

Last edited:
Not yet, I looked around at some motors today but right now I have my hands full with the 12z mill. I ordered a EL400 3 axis DRO for it today. Buying the PBA chuck vs the lathe, was like someone giving me money to buy it. lol

I wonder why Enco didn't send me a notice about this sale :burned up:. Fortunately I'm about out of things to buy for either the mill or lathe other than inserts and tools. The PBA I ordered today was the 8" 3 jaw and back plate. With the Bison 6 jaw I bought a while back I'm pretty much set.

If I had it to do over again I might have gone Dorian, their BXA will accept 3/4 inch tools vs Aloris 5/8.

The link belts definitely reduced vibration. Now that I have a quality test indicator (Mitutoyo) I'll have to re-measure the vibration from the factory single phase motor. Before when I measured it, no belts just the motor running you can feel a vibration if you lay your hand on the spindle. But I measured it with my CHINA test indicator and it only measured like .0001 to .0002. I thought at the time the heck with it but a short time later my CHINA test indicator fell apart so maybe it wasn't measuring properly. There are a number of things I could do to fine tune the lathe.

Just a FYI, but Matt at PM has a bunch of oversize BXA tool holders (I received 4 so far) that hold 3/4" tooling. They are imports of course, but seem to be of decent quality for the price. I much prefer them over the standard ones that came with the tool post. I will be getting some more of course. :)

And congrats on the PBA. It looked huge at first, but now my perceptions have adjusted and it looks right at home. Love that big thru-hole. :)

I did make a mental note to myself to look into a softer start profile (2-3 sec?) once I get the VFD installed as getting this big guy started when in 1800 rpm range had the belt slipping a bit. I noticed my tension adjust bracket has a bit of slop in it where it bolts to the lathe allowing the motor to rock a bit. I may have to re-make that. Interesting that you like your Mit test indicator, because I recently bought a Mit .0001 DI for setting up/measuring the chucks on my new lathe and it's basically junk. Needle jumps all over the place when trying to measure TIR and it's worse/better depending on what direction you are turning the test piece. Had to pull out my trusty import to finish the job. I may take it apart to see if something in the gear train is loose or something.

Bill where have you been hiding lately? That's good to know regarding the BXA tool holders. I wonder if the Dorian BXA will fit the Aloris. Maybe you purchased one of the many counterfeit Mitutoyo's on the market?

Hey Coolidge, didn't think I'd be missed. :)

Don't have a clue on the Dorian/Aloris fit: Those Dorian holders are huge, but they may work. As for the Mit, yea, I thought that too. Not that I can visually tell the diff.. Can't trust anyone these days... :distrust:

Back