Grizzly G0758 mill

Since you already have it go ahead and play around, that’s what this hobby is about after all.

Keep an eye out for a Bridgeport clone in good condition, don’t bother with anything that needs a rebuild unless that’s another hobby you want to pursue.

Having space for both small and large machines is a blessing, don’t be afraid to buy/sell/flip them as good stuff comes available. Hardest thing is learning how to move them. Once you figure that out people are almost ready to give them away sometimes.

John

Only quibble I have with that is that now your gib is on the opposite side of what it was designed for.

If there was any thought put into this at the engineering stage(total crap shoot there) this might put more cutting forces on the gib screws and make maintaining the gib adjustment more difficult.

You are increasing the leverage on the ways with the quill that much further away, but will it ever matter?

Maybe over the course of 20 yrs use or so.

Have you trammed the head on this yet?
the gib appears to be symmetrical, so i do not anticipate issues there, if i encounter issues later i will adjust. the stress on the gibs also appears to be consistent. the unsupported way condition is concerning but i will just not machine in the position, just getting the z height from 8-3/4" to over 11" is a god send and the remaining 3" will be useful for tool changes. the issues i'm concerned about is that extreme down travel the screw nut is at the end of its travel and could come off and with the quill retracted i'm 6" away from the table but my 3" vise with angle adjusting base eats up 4" of that. the real issue with rigidity is that the head is sticking off the slide at the top but if that becomes an issue i can install 2 more angle adjusting bolts to add to the single bolt from the factory. as far as 20 years from now, i will deal with that if and when it happens.

I'm not discounting the issues that you mentioned but for me having the additional z height is a great thing.

i have also looked at replacing the lead screw with a longer ball screw and lengthening the nut slot in the z column to get more down travel, but to be honest im not sure that it will be that useful with a vice mounted, especially if i go up to a 4" vice which will eat up another .9" of z leaving me with 1.1" between the retracted spindle and the top of the vice

yea no the column has not been trammed yet i was late getting finished with this, i dropped the lead screw nut and had to take the column off to fish it out.

Last edited:
Since you already have it go ahead and play around, that’s what this hobby is about after all.

Keep an eye out for a Bridgeport clone in good condition, don’t bother with anything that needs a rebuild unless that’s another hobby you want to pursue.

Having space for both small and large machines is a blessing, don’t be afraid to buy/sell/flip them as good stuff comes available. Hardest thing is learning how to move them. Once you figure that out people are almost ready to give them away sometimes.

John
i have a trailer and my tractor FEL can deal with #3k, so im good with moving most things i would want in my shop but over all this is what i'm planning on.

I'm not discounting the issues that you mentioned but for me having the additional z height is a great thing.
I think you did good, its like something I would do.

And by mentioning engineering, I was referring to the manufacturer, not what you did.

working on tramming the column and then the spindel, any advice?
working on installing the glass scales but will need to remove/rework the x axis gibb locks, anyone done this before?
I'm installing the x axis scale on the front due to loss of y travel if i mount it in the rear.

Last edited:
well life interrupted me, i spent a few days in the hospital but i did get back to this project and trammed the head as well as the column. i had to shim the column to get rid of some nod. i learned a lot in the process.

I'm looking into reversing the Z-axis slide to gain about 3" of Z travel has anyone done that?

I'm looking at playing around with installing a replacement motor maybe a BLDC so i can get reverse on the mill (my understanding is that brushed DC motors do not like running in reverse, anyone have any input on this?

As to the dc motor, I’m a big fan of them, but brushless motors are coming on it a big way.

DC motors will run fine in reverse, but you may not get the same speed or torque as some DC motors are “Timed” to run a certain direction.

Last edited:
Someone help me here. Why would a brushed DC motor not like to run in reverse? Plenty do. Tons of battery powered tools for one. Also, my DC golf cart spends a lot of time in reverse.

The only thing I can think of is if the carbon brushes weren’t beveled in both directions… but are there brushes like that? (Honest question)
If so, couldn’t you simply pull the brushes and bevel the carbon yourself?
For the most part there is no beveling on the brushes.

The brushes are deceptively brittle and soft at the same time so use caution if you try working with them.

yes i agree with all you have said, right now just having fun tinkering with it and seeing what i need to do differently (if anything), anyway i am very interested in different opinions about this mill, i just learned that Custom Crafter makes a kit to put a 750 watt servo on this type of mill for a good price, so im learning something new every day.
thanks for the insight.
I don’t have the kit, but I bought two of his drives if that says anything.

Good stuff!

Back