Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Another update.
I added the trunion locking and indexing features.

There are still a couple of areas that are just not right and I am still figuring out the best way to handle it

Welllllllll
It seems the step file has gotten to big for me to upload to this site. It is up to 15meg

Attachments

• DividingHead.JPG
    DividingHead.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It's looking good! You could share it on Google drive, or one of the many free services out there. For now I'm happy with the images, but the full CAD will be great when I'm getting ready to machine parts.

It's looking good! You could share it on Google drive, or one of the many free services out there. For now I'm happy with the images, but the full CAD will be great when I'm getting ready to machine parts.
There are some including me that see a pic of a CAD screen and start trying to click on it to zoom and rotate and look at the internals but of course that don't work, BUT we still keep trying..... :laughing: :face slap:

Do we need the extra parts for the trunnion lock? Wouldn't clamping the Base between the Trunnion shoulder and the End Cap be enough?

I figured on keeping a T-handle hex wrench handy that would fit all the screws, and putting a cam-lock at the center of the End Cap. The procedure would be to turn the Trunnion to where I wanted it to be, and squeeze the cam-lock to hold it in place. Then, crank down on the four End Cap bolts to lock it solid. It would work the same without the cam-lock, but there would be more chances to upset the setup between setting the Trunnion angle and getting the clamping screws tightened.

Manufacturing it this way would require either a low precision relief on the Trunnion side of the End Cap, or keeping the Trunnion shoulder just slightly shorter than the thickness of the base. It would eliminate three parts.

I do prefer a toolless design, but if we standardize on one size of hex head socket screw, then we can eliminate several of the t-handles. But, some thought would need to go into where to store the wrench.

Reactions: rwm
Is there a reason to use countersunk vs button head screws? I'm looking at the End Caps vs the Auxiliary Base. Is it just a preference, or is it that the countersunk holds parts better at the expense of more precise machining?

I'm looking at this from an airplane builder's mantra of, "Simplicate and add lightness."

Yes we could make a lot less parts and give up the tool less operation. I have not looked into if all of the screws that need adjustment could use the same size wrench. I do not think it is necessary for assembly screws to use the same tool since you only do that once or for periodic maintenance.
I was trying to follow the too less operation like Mark_f did.

The only reason I changed those to flat head was to have a flat surface for the lock. Flat heads do locate things better than other screws due to the taper, in this case precise location is not needed. The 2 screws on the lock are the same as the screw for the worm gear lock.

The graduations for the angle on the trunion is not necessarily needed. There are indexing holes every 15 degrees and for other angles could rely on the user being able to measure the angle. If you need a precise angle you would have to measure anyhow and not rely on eyeballing those graduations.

Since I posted that model I have figured out one of the areas that was bothering me. The whole mounting for the worm now works correctly.

Yes we could make a lot less parts and give up the tool less operation. I have not looked into if all of the screws that need adjustment could use the same size wrench. I do not think it is necessary for assembly screws to use the same tool since you only do that once or for periodic maintenance.
I was trying to follow the too less operation like Mark_f did.
How about a compromise? Let the End Cap serve as the clamp, but use one of your t-handles in the center for locking?

I don't mind a tool so much, as long as:

A) It is ONE tool
B) There is a secure place on the tool to store it when not in use.

A hole drilled in the base with a spring inserted would serve as a convenient and secure storage.

Last edited:
I am okay if the design is toolless or otherwise.

Yea same here i figure as long as it is simple to put together and work with im fine with anything.

Back