Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Once the drawings are out, I might grab a few more items. Want to make sure I know what I'm volunteering for first!

Ill have to see more of the certain parts. One thing i may need help on working out as of now will be the index crank nut. As thing project continues though it is getting closer to me having a mill ready.

I think the spindle should be 4140 pre hard. Or something hardened. 17-4 in h900 is about 47hrc and machines great.

I have a heat treat oven if that’s necessary. I may also be sending a ton of parts out for case hardening soon aswell so I could probably sneak a few parts in with that job if need be.

I don’t want to take on too much but I also have a cylindrical grinder if we really need. But I’d rather hard turn. I feel pretty confident holding .0002” on my lathe.

It may be a naming issue, but I'd like to be clear what I've signed up for.
The base made of 3/4" thick angle.
The auxiliary base, made of 1/4" angle and bolted to the main base.
The spindle lock, colored blue in the picture.
The trunnion crank, colored red in the picture.

You have me on the indexing crank with @Brento. I'd like you to take that if you could, @Brento.
Could I please beg off from being responsible for the lock pins and bushings? I think I'll be pushing myself with all these large, precision holes in thick plates.

I can most likely do the crank. I think once we get drawings of each part it will be easier to see what each part everyone is making for better knowledge.

Here's an idea. @Flyinfool , could you update the drawing to color code the parts based on who is signed up for them? Leaving the unassigned pieces grey.

@Shotgun,
The Aux Base is 1/4 plate, not angle.
I had you and @Brento both on the crank because it looked like you were both signed up for it. I will change it to just Brento.
I will remove you from the lock pins and bushings.

I will look into changing the colors to indicate the maker.

I will see if I can put together a PDF of the drawing package so far.

OK, Here are the drawings so far. These are NOT finished drawings. Do NOT try to make parts from them. Critical dimensions are still being adjusted and missing info has yet to be added. These are for reference only. There are some parts of the project that I have plans for changes to.

Attachments

• Dividing Head Drawings.pdf
    879.8 KB · Views: 7
BTW: Would be awesome if when you're done-er that you order those/mark those as who is signed up for them. Would make it easier to decide what additional things I can take on.

I see one of the 'end plates' that would be easy enough to make (and I could likely knock them out quickly enough), so I might grab that too, but I want to see all the drawings first :)

Woohoo! This is gettin' real, y'all!

I've got a few questions.

1) The Auxiliary Base has two .089 holes. I assumed they would be for locating pins, but didn't see corresponding holes in the Main Base. What's up with that?

2) The slots for the locating blocks on the bottom of the Main Base. Any reason they can't run the length of the base?

3) The hole for the Trunnion on the Main and Auxiliary Bases would need to be at the exact same height. The numbers on the drawing aren't adding up. I assumed I would clamp the bases together for final boring of the trunnion hole, using the bottom to level set them.

Back