Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Cool, its getting there! I could definitely be up for a few more parts. I love ID single-pointing, so maybe I'll do the spindle nut and a couple of the others.

Question I had... Is there a reason the worm gear itself is a separate part from its shaft (it goes on DH13?). I could probably just as easily make DH13 out of 1 piece and single point the worm on the end just as easily. What do you think? If possible, it might save time in the long run.

That would be possible, The original plan was to buy a foot long chunk of the worm shaft and just cut off the 1 inch chunks. If you think you can single point the worm I can make that change easy enough. That will also eliminate the shaft and the worm washer and the SHCS screw in the end.

@Brento Unfortunately for you your parts just happen to be that last 5, and one of the assemblys. Just a fluke of the way they got numbered. I am doing them in numerical order.

That would be possible, The original plan was to buy a foot long chunk of the worm shaft and just cut off the 1 inch chunks. If you think you can single point the worm I can make that change easy enough. That will also eliminate the shaft and the worm washer and the SHCS screw in the end.
I actually haven't single-pointed ACME yet, so I'm tempted to try :) I've been wanting to try a tool-grind/etc and go for it, so this would be a great excuse to try it.

It looks like the worm shaft and worm-washer are unassigned, so if you give me all 3 parts I'll just try to make it as a 1 piece. If I fail, its easy enough to fall back :) Though, it isn't clear to me where the washer goes...

No biggie. Looking forward to them! Looking great and you are doing an amazing job!

Edit: i just got a 100$ worth of a bunch of material so im ready at my end for the most part. Lots of plastics as well.

Last edited:
Looking very complex!
Single pointing the worm will be challenging on a light machine due to chatter. Do a test run first maybe? As I recall Erich has a pretty robust machine so it might be fine. What about silver soldering a section of worm over a shaft? If the fit was tight it would be very concentric and a solid joint.
I hope you guys don't mind if I play "devils advocate" and try to find issues with the design. I think that could be helpful before parts are made.
Robert

Looking very complex!
Single pointing the worm will be challenging on a light machine due to chatter. Do a test run first maybe? As I recall Erich has a pretty robust machine so it might be fine. What about silver soldering a section of worm over a shaft? If the fit was tight it would be very concentric and a solid joint.
I hope you guys don't mind if I play "devils advocate" and try to find issues with the design. I think that could be helpful before parts are made.
Robert
I have a 16", 5000lb lathe :D Not a very light machine! I presume light cuts + extra care grinding the cutter (I might use the surface grinder?) should make it turn out alright.

Another Idea I had BTW! I wonder if we could convince @vtcnc or the other admins to let us have a sub-forum for build threads for all of the components? Or did you just want to use this one for it? It might be a little less organized with everyone in the same thread though.

Cool, its getting there! I could definitely be up for a few more parts. I love ID single-pointing, so maybe I'll do the spindle nut and a couple of the others.

Question I had... Is there a reason the worm gear itself is a separate part from its shaft (it goes on DH13?). I could probably just as easily make DH13 out of 1 piece and single point the worm on the end just as easily. What do you think? If possible, it might save time in the long run.
The only point of care is that the worm has to be a nearly perfect fit to the gear it is mating to. We were getting around that by hobbing the gear with a piece cut from the acme rod. If they are made separately. . .

Back