Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Some parts have material listed in the title block, Some of the title blocks still need to be edited. That is why I keep putting in to NOT start making stuff from these prints, they are just so you can start planning.
Some list a specific material, some list several choices and some say any metal. WHen I refer to any metal, it could be steel, stainless, aluminum, brass or a few others that are machinable, pretty much whatever you have on hand or you think will look good. Obviouslt it does not include metals like mercury, lead, beryllium, uranium, or other potentially hazardous or extremely soft/weak metals.

I'm not in a rush, so if people need some time to get it done, I'm good.

For the trunnion, I think I mentioned before that the material I have is 3". I'll need some room to clean up the OD. I can turn a piece and mic it if it matters. I just want to make sure it will work. I don't see a problem with it from the drawings, but I could be missing something.

What was the issues with the callouts and dimensions in yellow?

It will be a tough project i am sure but it is going to be nice to have one built with alk of you guys instead of a mass produced one. Makes it all sentimental-y lol. I know the handle isnt critical but as long as that drill point is not critical i can do it by hand and save some time for others doing more important things.

Edit: any ideas for material yet or is that part of the last go through on the drawings.
Don't go getting soft on me, @Brento. I might cry.

I fear that when you cut the slot in the trunnion it will deform due to internal stresses. Perhaps you should cut the slot first, bolt on the end cap and then take it to final OD? Thoughts? Also, just use regular Uranium. It will be fine as long as you don't ship 4 items in the same box.
Robert

What was the issues with the callouts and dimensions in yellow?

I have no clue why some dimensions are a weird color. They are all black on the original drawing, it must have been something in the conversion to PDF.

There you all go, now you want your tools to also provide the shop lighting......

This will take some recalculations and redesign for critical mass.

I'm not in a rush, so if people need some time to get it done, I'm good.

For the trunnion, I think I mentioned before that the material I have is 3". I'll need some room to clean up the OD. I can turn a piece and mic it if it matters. I just want to make sure it will work. I don't see a problem with it from the drawings, but I could be missing something.
As @Flyinfool said, the OD isn't really critical, but the shoulders that mate to the base are two of the more critical dimensions, I would think. And the exact dimension isn't so critical as that the two match.

I bought a Milwaulkee hole saw with carbide teeth. It comes with an innovate arbor that I can build an adapter directly into an MT3 taper for super rigidity. If it tests out with as good a finish as I think it will give, I'd like to drill a hole in a scrap plate and mail that to @ttabbal. Until this project is finished, that hole saw will be dedicated to that job.

Back