Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

I am okay to go with the flow. I will only have one day available a week to work on the parts myself.
I may be down to weekends to do alot of major machining as well. What my plan will be is to machine the parts as far as i can and then have them ready for the mill

.730 would not matter. If you are starting from plate the as supplied finish would probably be fine to.
Cool, I can re-measure the plate and see what I can get out of it then!

ETA: I also just ordered a couple of foot-long pieces of 12L14 on ebay to make the shafts. If I can single-point the threads well enough, I should be able to take care of a couple of parts with just that! If my aluminum sheet works for the gears, even better.

Last edited:
Question i had for everyone. I have 1" hex stock in aluminum or 3/4" in steel. Would steel be fine for the index body or would everyone be ok for a 1" hex on the index body? If not i will order some 3/4" aluminum.

Question i had for everyone. I have 1" hex stock in aluminum or 3/4" in steel. Would steel be fine for the index body or would everyone be ok for a 1" hex on the index body? If not i will order some 3/4" aluminum.

I have no preference on this matter.

The latest revision of that drawing calls for brass or steel. The threads are a bit fine for long life in AL. So yes your 3/4 hex steel that you have is fine.

Ok i did not see steel listed for the material so that is why i asked. I know its still isnt final.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGggggggg!!!!!!!!

Solidworks got me again.
Solidworks crashed during a save and corrupted the Drawing file. For some reason it also was able to corrupt the backup files. At least it looks like all of the part files and assy files are good. Solid works is the only program that ever crashes on this computer. At least I printed out all the drawings to mark up for changes so I have a hard copy record of what I had. looks like I will have to redo all the drawings after item 26. No more Mr nice guy, all the drawings are now going to remain separate documents so that this can not happen again, so it will not be one nice drawing file when I post. So I am not sure if I will finish the drawings this week like I had hoped to. :bang head: :bang head::bang head::blowup:

Oh no! Sorry you got bit. Thanks for the work you are putting into this.

I loaded the STEP into Fusion360. It was cool to see the parts together and my part separately.

Ill have to get a program up and running so i can check these parts out.

Back