Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Looks like a 7075 plate from midwest supply is at least not awful. I should be able to get all the pieces out of a 12*12 plate (assuming my math is right:)) and they have 7/8 plate available for $120+shipping. So if brass doesn't work out, I could always do that!

I’ll check and see if I have some bronze or aluminum bronze sitting around. You won’t enjoy machining the aluminum bronze but it’s very strong

Looks like a 7075 plate from midwest supply is at least not awful. I should be able to get all the pieces out of a 12*12 plate (assuming my math is right:)) and they have 7/8 plate available for $120+shipping. So if brass doesn't work out, I could always do that!

Another place to check is the Random Rack at Howard precision. They sell drops from jobs they have run at really good prices. Some alloys are as low as $1 per pound. You just have to look thru what they have to find something you can use. You might end up with a much bigger chunk than you need at less money and have some left for your stock rack. But call them before ordering, shipping can get pricey on big heavy items.

If you go from plate I am guessing that about a 3.75 hole saw slug will be close to the starting size you will need. And it will by default have a 1/4" hole on center to start from.

I just remembered that I have a big chunk of brass tube in the basement, Unfortunately it is only 2.75" OD x .9375 ID x 13 long.

Another place to check is the Random Rack at Howard precision. They sell drops from jobs they have run at really good prices. Some alloys are as low as $1 per pound. You just have to look thru what they have to find something you can use. You might end up with a much bigger chunk than you need at less money and have some left for your stock rack. But call them before ordering, shipping can get pricey on big heavy items.

If you go from plate I am guessing that about a 3.75 hole saw slug will be close to the starting size you will need. And it will by default have a 1/4" hole on center to start from.

I just remembered that I have a big chunk of brass tube in the basement, Unfortunately it is only 2.75" OD x .9375 ID x 13 long.
I found a hunk of mystery aluminum plate in my junk pile, but it is 3/4" thick, and I know the gear is supposed to be .750 +/- .005, so I presume that wouldn't quite cut it... Also not positive that it is big enough, I measured 1 side as 10" i think, and the other as 12". So unless I could tessalate, it would be a no-go.

I have a metal supermarkets about an hour drive away I could try as well (where I got the plate). Still hopeful on someone being able to do the casting though, it seems like a cool addition to the project :) Otherwise, Metal Supermarket or whatever can work too.

Howard precision is local to me just 21 miles. Depending on what you get and what shipping would be, I could pick it up (Assuming the will call is still open with COVID), cut it smaller to fit into a USPS flat rate box or 2.

The worm gear is called out as .750 but would it really matter if it was .730 after cleanup?
Robert

.730 would not matter. If you are starting from plate the as supplied finish would probably be fine to.

I just wanted to get a feel on everyones opinion. I checked on my parts which includes all of the indexing crank pieces which are parts 32-36. I can do most of the parts right from the start however my concern is the milling work. I cant get to doing the milling work atleast until maybe end of june depending on the weather. Now is everyone ok if with that amount of waiting time possibly if it does get held up on my side? I dont mind doing the work, in fact i want to do it but if it is a problem i understand then.

I am okay to go with the flow. I will only have one day available a week to work on the parts myself.

Back