Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Defect was on the back (top, cope side). It was bad. This pattern will also use less metal. It is about .800 thick so you can clean up the sides.
Robert

OK, Here is the latest drawing package. The drawings are mostly done. Not ready to turn you all loose making chips just yet.

I now need to talk to each of you about the parts that you are making. PM me you number and a good time for me to call. There may be some changes made based on talking to each person. I will also update the BOM with who is making what, There has been some trading of parts and I lost track of who is making what. So at least for the moment the ball is out into all of your courts and out of mine for a change. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Dividing Head Drawings.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • DH AY001 DividingHead.STEP
    19.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Dividing Head BOM.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm also taking D13 Shaft and D20 worm-washer (plus replacing the bolt), since I'm still going to try to make the D13 shaft a single piece with the worm gear.

I might take a few more parts as I get my 'TODO" list a bit shorter :)

I can do the worm washer and the plug brass. If the worm washer is better to be made with who is making the wheel then that is fine.

Edit: the handle as well.

Last edited:
I can do the worm washer and the plug brass. If the worm washer is better to be made with who is making the wheel then that is fine.
I think we don't need the worm-washer if I can get the worm gear + D13 shaft as 1 piece.

True but if not i can do it if it doesnt need to be done with it. I can see where it could be better made with the person making the part but figured id hop in and ask. Im limited in stuff i can do right now so i am trying to take parts i can finish without adding to my load of parts i can half finish until the mill is ready.

True but if not i can do it if it doesnt need to be done with it. I can see where it could be better made with the person making the part but figured id hop in and ask. Im limited in stuff i can do right now so i am trying to take parts i can finish without adding to my load of parts i can half finish until the mill is ready.
You'd could pick up D016, D017, and D018. They're all small pieces.

I am going to cast at least one gear blank in brass. Assuming that machines OK and you want that material, I may be able to get more involved and work on some other parts. I hope to get that cast on Wednesday.
Robert

Ouch!
I have all of the purchased parts listed with McMaster Carr part numbers. It is not necessary to get them from McMaster but that is a good way to identify what is needed. Today i assembled all of the parts into an order just to see what it was, I figured making 8 Dividing heads. The total order size was $433.48 + tax and shipping.

This seems like a good time to use AliExpress. That's most likely where the hardware is coming from anyway. I'll put together an order from there, if you'd like.

Back