Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Guys, I have to admit that I'm going to be delayed. I snapped a part in my vice in two. I have a new 6 incher and a 4" screwless on the way, but it won't be here until Monday week. I've tried to keep going using some table clamps I have, but the 3rd Main Base is moving all over the place, and may be ruined at this point.

I'm going to get started on the other two parts. My 3" vice will probably work for those. Maybe.

[Update] Nevermind. Just got a notification that the 6" vice will be here Saturday.

@Flyinfool : How important is the length of the 3/8-24 thread? You have it as .625, and I've got it closer to about .590 on my first piece. Do I have to toss it over this?

I have a question about material selection. The 3/4" thick A36 I'm using for the base has a springiness somewhere between Big Red and Double Bubble chewing gum. This is fine for the base, but now really appropriate for the spindle clamp, where you want it to open back up.

I don't have enough of the material on hand for both the trunnion arm and spindle clamp anyhow. So, I can buy a more appropriate alloy for the clamp.

But, will the A36 be appropriate for the trunnion crank. The design is for it to clamp on the trunnion and the worm gear shaft. My understanding is that clamping the trunnion is a one-and-done affair. But, do we expect to regularly clamp and release the worm gear shaft?

I am not trying to rush people by posting my part above. Shotgun-You are not delayed. Take your time and wait for the necessary tooling.
I don't see why A36 would be a problem for that part but I will let Jeff comment. For quick indexing you would release the lock on the shifter (which houses the worm shaft) so that might be fairly often.
Robert

I am not trying to rush people by posting my part above. Shotgun-You are not delayed. Take your time and wait for the necessary tooling.
I don't see why A36 would be a problem for that part but I will let Jeff comment. For quick indexing you would release the lock on the shifter (which houses the worm shaft) so that might be fairly often.
Robert

Thank you, Robert. The parts I've bitten off are fairly simple, but there is a LOT of steel to hog off. The 3Hp motor has drastically increased my pace. I was practically racing through a 10thou, full width cut using my 4.5" facemill. But, it is putting my other tooling to the test.

The problem with the A36 not having any spring is that you'll release the lock on the shifter, and the arm will remain locked.

I know what I'll do. I have quite a collection of scrap pieces at this point. I'll drill a hole then cut a slot to it. Clamp the drill bit in with a pair of vice-grips, and then see if it'll release the bit when I remove the vice-grips. If not, I need different material.

I know what I'll do. I have quite a collection of scrap pieces at this point. I'll drill a hole then cut a slot to it. Clamp the drill bit in with a pair of vice-grips, and then see if it'll release the bit when I remove the vice-grips. If not, I need different material.

Well, it seems like I'm starting to make a habit of crying wolf. I ran out to the workshop while my software was building, and ran the test. For at least three cycles, the material has enough spring to let go. The bend for our parts will be spread over a much larger area, so I can't see how there'd be a problem.

Nothing to see here.

You beat me to it.
The amount of spring needed is only a couple thou at worst case tol stack-up. That is not near far enough to reach plastic deformation of any steel.

Back