Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Whats the normal price? 60% scares me on the normal price lol

I got this far:

1622403133957.png

There is one error in this part that I don't think will affect function. When I drilled the hole for the handle I went into the bore for the shaft. I re-reamed it and polished the bore so I think it will work fine. The error was made because the stock I started with was a little undersize which reduced the depth until I hit the bore. This actually made tapping a lot easier so it might be a better plan for the rest?
The handle shaft is 304 SS. The ball is an aluminum one I had from another project. I guess I will turn 7 more like that unless anyone wants black Delrin (acetal)?
Next step is to index and drill the holes on the outboard face. I still need some guidance on the 1/8" dowel pin? Jeff?
I am also open to ideas of order of operations for making the shaft clamp.
Robert

The dowel pin indicated in the drawing has a spec of 0.1251 to 0.1253. I am thinking of a 0.1247 reamer. That is a 4-5 tenths interference.
R

Last edited:
0.1247 is the recommended reamer for a 1/8 dowel pin.

When pressing a pin to the bottom of a blind hole I have been known use a Dremel with a thin cut off wheel to put a grove down the side of the dowel pin to let the air out. You can buy vented dowel pins but I am cheap.

As long as the end of the Knob shaft does not protrude thru into the shaft bore and the hole does not leave a burr, going thru is not a problem.

Last edited:
All great thoughts. I will forget Loctite and proceed with the correct reamer.
The bore of the shifter appears very smooth so I think we will be fine.
I like your idea about the dowel pin. I may try to score a groove on it in the lathe with a tool held sideways. Won't take much.
Jeff- I may have found an error in the drawing?
#29 (Ø.136) DRILL .88 & TAP #8-32UNC .50 3 HOLES ON Ø1.125 BC
Drilling 0.88 would extend thru the part?
Robert

Last edited:
I am just now getting in to the shop after an absence of 7 days. I will start on the spindles after I finish this pipe that was already chucked up.

image.jpg

So now that is done. I will clean the lathe & finally start on the spindles.

image.jpg

Crap... Well, I apparently need to take remedial ruler use. I spent a significant amount of time getting the material cleaned up and adjusting for finish, then realized that I must have measured the one 3" bit I have. The rest of the pile is 2.6ish. :mad:

I might have to drop out, I don't think I can justify the purchase of that much material. A quick look at ebay does not inspire much hope. I'll try a couple of local yards, but prices haven't been great from the local places lately.

How much 3 inch stock do you have? Maybe it can be 2 pieces to get by with what you have?

Back