Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

New tool day! This looks like a decent enough kit to do what I need out of it. The "nicer" kits don't include the smaller head to go down to 1.4"( or are 8x the price!), so this is what I was able to find.

Hopefully I'll get some shop time in later this week to restart.

Attachments

• PXL_20210531_210507688.jpg
    PXL_20210531_210507688.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
This is how far I got before I needed food:

image.jpg

Any good indicator should make that a better set automatically.

How much 3 inch stock do you have? Maybe it can be 2 pieces to get by with what you have?

Just a 6" piece or so. I thought it was an offcut, but I was wrong. I could swear I measured at least one of the longer pieces, but I must not have.

New tool day! This looks like a decent enough kit to do what I need out of it. The "nicer" kits don't include the smaller head to go down to 1.4"( or are 8x the price!), so this is what I was able to find.

Hopefully I'll get some shop time in later this week to restart.
For $120, I bet that tool will give you very good value.
The only critical component is the conical tip of the rod that actuates the dial indicator. If that cone is precisely coaxial with the rod and has an excellent surface finish you're golden. It's only a comparator (set to zero at your target dimension).

Just a 6" piece or so. I thought it was an offcut, but I was wrong. I could swear I measured at least one of the longer pieces, but I must not have.

Would you like to switch parts? I think I can get the stock for a reasonable price but it will either be cast iron (cheaper but messy) or 1018

I have a large round bar I was thinking of doing the index plates from but I’m not sure it’s 5” diameter. Do you have any 5” stock to do those on hand?

I wish I could afford some 4140 or something we could harden

I may be able to do both parts just depends how busy I am the next few weekends. Let me know what you want to do.

Buddy is getting me some 3” steel round from the scrap yard. Will see what he’s got later today or tomorrow.

Would you like to switch parts? I think I can get the stock for a reasonable price but it will either be cast iron (cheaper but messy) or 1018

I have a large round bar I was thinking of doing the index plates from but I’m not sure it’s 5” diameter. Do you have any 5” stock to do those on hand?

I wish I could afford some 4140 or something we could harden

I may be able to do both parts just depends how busy I am the next few weekends. Let me know what you want to do.

Nope, nothing bigger around. I've never needed it. I do your friend can get a good deal on the stock.

Back