Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

ON the left bar (at least during design in the normal files) there is the ability to disable each component 1 by 1.

I used FreeCAD because I'm on Linux, so most cad packages aren't an option.

Yeah. I run Linux as my main OS. I have Windows in VMs though, just for some things that work better that way for me. I even have an extra GPU and pass it into the win VM for performance.

I expected FreeCAD to do that, but it just shows one body "Rotary Broach". In Fusion it shows the individual bodies so you can select them. It seems like it should be possible. It's probably an option or something. I think it's great to see more being done with FreeCAD. I think it has a lot of potential.

Ah, well, I'm just on an old i5 laptop from 2014, so running a windows VM is a little too much for it :) If you want the freecad file I can definitely share that as well.

Alright, I just got my other arbor in (the MT4 one!), and it is also only a little more than !/2" thread length, so the .750 we have is way more than enough. @GunsOfNavarone feel free to make the backing plate a bit thinner if you'd like :)

I also ordered the drill rod. It is quite expensive ($15+shipping for enough to make 3 bits for HSS!), but I have enough to make 3 for everyone. Still soliciting size-preferences for all of you :)

I also figure we'll go another few days giving you guys time to check out the plans to make sure it works for everyone (and @ttabbal/@rwm to check my drawings :) ) , and we can start working!

No real rush on this, I figure it'll take me a while to get materials in and I'll probably spend a solid evening on each of the bits anyway, so it'll take a while for my part to be done anyway!

Sorry...I was busy on my own projects (I set aside 20 hours a week mandatory for straight shop work...I have really picked up momentum since)
Just caught up, down loaded prints and step. File. I will take a look at step file and print the.....prints? {shrug)

I've got mine on paper, so unless you have changes, I think I'm good to go.

So I am just poking around for the stock. What type metal can we all agree on? i.e. I can get enough 4140 to do 5 of these backing plates.
1018 sucks..... don't wanna go there...especially hot rolled. If I was making this for myself...I'd use stainless and pass it down to my dog when I die.
What ya'll thinking here (cost being a consideration is fine) On that note, should we all just keep a ledger of what we spend? Whomever spends the most, we divide that overage by the others and subtract what we spent? This is my one hobby/meaning for life so I allow myself whatever I see fit.

Alright, I just got my other arbor in (the MT4 one!), and it is also only a little more than !/2" thread length, so the .750 we have is way more than enough. @GunsOfNavarone feel free to make the backing plate a bit thinner if you'd like :)

I also ordered the drill rod. It is quite expensive ($15+shipping for enough to make 3 bits for HSS!), but I have enough to make 3 for everyone. Still soliciting size-preferences for all of you :)

I also figure we'll go another few days giving you guys time to check out the plans to make sure it works for everyone (and @ttabbal/@rwm to check my drawings :) ) , and we can start working!

No real rush on this, I figure it'll take me a while to get materials in and I'll probably spend a solid evening on each of the bits anyway, so it'll take a while for my part to be done anyway!
So the MT4 is great for lathe, but do you never plan on using it on a mill? Is MT4 common on a mill? Either I want to get 2 arbors (an MT and a straight shank) if I can get them on same diameter shank/pitch.

So the MT4 is great for lathe, but do you never plan on using it on a mill? Is MT4 common on a mill? Either I want to get 2 arbors (an MT and a straight shank) if I can get them on same diameter shank/pitch.
I bought an MT4 and an R8 for mine. Arbors go for $10 each or so, so I suggested everyone just buying one/two if they wanted.

My most realistic choice would be 12L14...great for machine tools and very machinable...

Back