Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

20210626_010808.jpg

Mounting to a mandrel seemed to help keep space around the flange. After a few passes, I found some good settings for roughing this material and was peeling about 0.90/pass off.

20210626_012419.jpg20210626_012400.jpg

Hmmm.. Finish looks worse on the pics than in person. Can barely feel a few ridges with a fingernail.

After drilling and tapping the holes, I use the lathe to run some emry over the back flange. It cleaned up nicely without much work.

I spent some time with calipers and mics and everything looks great. Guess I need to make a few copies now.

That's awesome! I was wondering, do we all send our part to Erich...for assembly, make sure all is well? Or just hail Mary it?

That's awesome! I was wondering, do we all send our part to Erich...for assembly, make sure all is well? Or just hail Mary it?
That is what the other projects do, saves everyone a bit on shipping that way. And the hope is I could choose the ones that suffer the least from tolerance stacking.

Doesn't have to be me of course.

@ErichKeane You're probably past this point, but take a look at this this video.. by using compound, did they pull off the front (cupped area?)

Haven't actually started yet! You guys are going too fast I'm still working on my dividing head parts! I'll watch that though!

@ErichKeane You're probably past this point, but take a look at this this video.. by using compound, did they pull off the front (cupped area?)

Huh really interesting! I had actually been considering that a bunch lately, wondering if I could use some of my brazed carbide tooling plus the compound to cut the cupped area.

I hadn't thought about actually cutting the profile that way though, that is a really good idea! I can probably save my surface grinder a lot of grinding that way

That is what the other projects do, saves everyone a bit on shipping that way. And the hope is I could choose the ones that suffer the least from tolerance stacking.

Doesn't have to be me of course.

Seems like a reasonable way to do it. I'm happy to send to whoever. Whatever works. I think you might be a good choice since you did the drawings and likely understand the way tolerances will stack more than we will, but I'll give it a go if you prefer. I've still got a few more to make before it's an issue for me.

I'm interested in seeing more parts getting made as everyone gets time to do it, please post a pic or two. I think I need to do one before I clean up after doing the big material removal step. It makes a hell of a mess. :)

Looks like we're making 4 total units? That's what I'll plan for unless someone says otherwise.

Yep, 4 total! I don't mind any setup, just know I'm probably a bit behind all of you all :) I haven't started up yet, I still have a bunch of dividing head parts to make. That project got bit big/complicated (7 or 8 copies! AND I have to learn to hob gears), so I have a ton of turning to do. Plus it just hit 110 today here in Oregon, so I'm off of shop time for a few days!

Back