Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

No worries about timing.

110 in Oregon? Wow. We've been close here in Utah, but you're further north. Even with a mini split and giant fan in the garage, I still have to shut down at that level. :)

These kind of videos show up in my feed now…another interesting one. They have the angle at 1.8* and .067” off center. Not sure if it’s ration wise the same as ours. Interesting as well how critical the tool OAL is. As I have never used one…it’s taken a while to get the ins/outs and why if the tool.
I made a 2nd plate, this one dead nuts on 1* No sine plate, no gauge blocks just backwards engineering….Another Broach

Last edited:
Everyone still alive? How's things going? Any trials and tribulations? I just need to drill the 4 mounting holes and the one center drilled tapped hole and all four are done.

Everyone still alive? How's things going? Any trials and tribulations? I just need to drill the 4 mounting holes and the one center drilled tapped hole and all four are done.

Yeah, I got about 70% done last week and seemed I was down to about 1 hour...maybe 2 hours left, so I dialed it back and have been doing other projects. I guess no real rush at this point.
Doesn't seem as there is much back n forth on this, but for what's it's worth...
I need to drill the body mounting holes square to the 1* angled side. I've been just contemplating how to go about that. Playing with the option of running them on the manual mill or the CNC (I have the CAM code ready to go.) Nothing really important, but would have been cool to discuss as a group. I guess what I was shooting for some months ago when I threw the idea out for the group project (dividing head was really the way I leaned) It was really geared towards to the newbs who never ran off blueprints, the challenge of many people making many parts at different time/places and having it come together and either work great, or the trouble shooting of what/why. Of course it would need some seasoned "machinist" to oversee.
Anyway...everything is experience, so there's that.

So, just to keep you all in the loop.
I THOUGHT I was going to put the backing plates in the CNC mill, compensate for the angle, find center in the boss and do my drilling and tapping. We’ll, my drill bit chuck doesn’t go to as large of a drill bit (Q, .332”) so things took a turn for the complicated. I went back to lathe and pulled out the independent 4 jaw. (I hate this thing) Now instead of setting my part on the chuck and center my machine around it, I needed to center my part…big difference. I had to set the tilt AND find center. (Did I mention I hate the independent chuck)
I will say it was great practice to the Nth degree with this thing. 2 are drilled and tapped and I’m working on the other 2 now. The last step is the 4 holes offset for the .041” which I should be able to do on CNC since it’s only a .266” hole (clearance for a .250”)
I suspect I should be able to shop the plates to Erich by the weekend. I’ll label the parts for the amount of seconds off from the 1*, as I stated before, I will take the one with the most error as I can remake the part easy enough. Maybe we can share experiences with the tools and see what’s better/worse etc…
D1A884A1-6C14-423A-8CCD-430D49822541.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom