Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

I contacted that "TomMakeHere" guy....(one of the videos in this thread). He has an Etsy page and he normally offers 10mm diameter cutters, though he could do larger, he says he's having a problem sourcing the stock as of late. Anyone have a good source for these?
For the stock? I just got it on McMaster.

For the cutters, polygon solutions https://www.polygonsolutions.com/

Is the best price I found, but McMaster has them too (though pricey).

Also... There's no reason you couldn't make an adapter sleeve from his 10mm broaches to the 1/2" broaches. That is a 50 thou wall. Shimming the length to be right, or adjusting the offset (might require slotting the backing plate) should be doable as well

I do remember reading a paper saying that the concave end was not required and might even hurt cutting edge strength/life.
I will see if I still have a copy of that report.

Sorry guys, I looked but could not find that reference; either locally or on the 'net.

-brino

Maybe this is completely ridiculous, but what about vandium steel hex drivers? If they were concaved on the front edge with a grinder/dremel, it would sharpen them...would this work? I'm talking for future use, expanding options like torx driver etc....

Maybe this is completely ridiculous, but what about vandium steel hex drivers? If they were concaved on the front edge with a grinder/dremel, it would sharpen them...would this work? I'm talking for future use, expanding options like torx driver etc....
I think the problem is you still need to do the 'side relief' for the bits. so unless the bits were cone-shaped (or so!) I don't see how that would work. It MIGHT still cut on softer materials, but it would likely get stuck/break off pretty quickly.

Second part has all the turning done. The only thing left on it is the 4 tapped holes. The other two blanks are ready to go in the lathe. Taking a while to make them, but I'm likely being over cautious on dimensions and making sure they are cool before the final pass and measuring is done.

Back