guidance on relining a 22 LR rifle

In fact there is a powerful centreing force making a conventional twist drill follow an existing hole,to the extent it is near impossible to deviate unless you use an end cutting tool rigidly held........the V shape of any drill centres it......If the 22 bore is straight ,the larger bore will also be straight...if you check out Howes Modern Gunsmithing,he uses a cutter very like a multi flute 90deg countersink........you should flush the chips from the hole opposite the drill travel..The likely cause of jamming or twisting the bit will be chip packing. ..I think Brownells 22 liners are already chambered,I know the larger 32 and 44 ones are.
I just checked the Brownells website , the 22 LR liners are not chambered. So far I feel the the drilling will not be the issue but the cost of buying a reamer puts it over the top. I will keep searching for a alternative to buying one. thanks for the reply

When i was 8 years old,every boy knew what size drillbit would do a 22 chamber......Ive forgotten,but a quick reference to the net would do the trick......anyhoo,if a boy with nothing but a few rocks for tools could do one 70 years ago,see no reason someone with a lathe and all mod cons,not to mention the net for info,was unable to do .......I might add ,in those day there were no gun collections in my district.....a rusty 22 was the farm gun ,and a packet of ammo that lasted all year was what could be afforded.....Really rich people had a 32-20 ,either a Savage or a Winny.....but never fired expensive ammo willy nilly...........................PS find out about using a D bit as a chamber reamer for one offs.

I agree, make your own "reamer", you already said you're not expecting a 1000yrd varmint sniper rifle or anything like that!

yes ,anyone with a lathe and a torch can make a Dbit reamer .In fact ,one can be made with no more than a file ,and a forge ,or even a fireplace that can be blown enough to reach hardening heat.

When i was 8 years old,every boy knew what size drillbit would do a 22 chamber......Ive forgotten,but a quick reference to the net would do the trick......anyhoo,if a boy with nothing but a few rocks for tools could do one 70 years ago,see no reason someone with a lathe and all mod cons,not to mention the net for info,was unable to do .......I might add ,in those day there were no gun collections in my district.....a rusty 22 was the farm gun ,and a packet of ammo that lasted all year was what could be afforded.....Really rich people had a 32-20 ,either a Savage or a Winny.....but never fired expensive ammo willy nilly...........................PS find out about using a D bit as a chamber reamer for one offs.
I did some checking as far as standard drill bits, It seems that a # 1 bit at .228 is as close to the .224 diameter that is called for . Is that .004 thousands critical? maybe,, also the drill bit would not address any shoulder problems [how critical would they be?] Again having never done this I thought my best option would be to post a question here for advise. As far as making the d-bit to ream, perhaps that is the best option if I can not find some local smith to do it for a reasonable fee. Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the link this seems like a better option than a d-bit . I have not found a local smith to do the work but it been a bit hectic with the holidays . Thanks again
The correct reamer has about .003 taper over its length,its not a straight hole.

Back