Harbor Freight air compressor repair

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
Had a bolt come out of a valve on the compressor. Cracked the valve plate. Valve plate not available from Harbor Freight. Any ideas ? Tig weld the plate and machine the warp out. Make a new plate from a piece of aluminum plate. Replace the compressor with a whole new compressor? I know it’s Harbor freight, but surprisingly it has lasted from 2014.

Attachments

• 2EB7A5AD-ACD2-4BB8-98F7-6521D2DC625E.jpeg
    2EB7A5AD-ACD2-4BB8-98F7-6521D2DC625E.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 0666DF2F-3F7E-42BB-B5C8-EEA36A150B01.jpeg
    0666DF2F-3F7E-42BB-B5C8-EEA36A150B01.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 56B51144-3321-4BEA-AE2D-83F62559DD8E.jpeg
    56B51144-3321-4BEA-AE2D-83F62559DD8E.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 61
My repair would start with a phone call to Waste Management, to order a dumpster delivered.

No, it probably depends on how the compressor is used. If it's a generator and pickup truck affair, then whatever works, but if it is shop air, start saving for a Quincy so that you'll never need to replace another again.

2014? it owes you nothing....

If you want to do the repair I think you have the tools and knowledge to do so. Otherwise replace it and move on.

BTW' how big is it?

Had a bolt come out of a valve on the compressor. Cracked the valve plate. Valve plate not available from Harbor Freight. Any ideas ? Tig weld the plate and machine the warp out. Make a new plate from a piece of aluminum plate. Replace the compressor with a whole new compressor? I know it’s Harbor freight, but surprisingly it has lasted from 2014.
Eight years is pretty good Steve.
If it were me, I’d move on. That compressor has come to the end of its useable life my friend.
Just two cents worth.

My repair would start with a phone call to Waste Management, to order a dumpster delivered.

No, it probably depends on how the compressor is used. If it's a generator and pickup truck affair, then whatever works, but if it is shop air, start saving for a Quincy so that you'll never need to replace another again.
We always bought IR for the shop.
Quincy has a positive lubrication system vs. splash.
I’m referring to the two stage 10hp pumps. In retrospect, we should have switched to Quincy after losing the pump on a two year old IR compressor.

I wouldn't toss the whole mess once you get a replacement. Motor might be worth saving and one could plumb the old tank in with the new compressor. As long as the new pump is a decent unit. More volume is always good.

Back