harbor freight band saw

john grinder

Registered
Registered
harbor freight model # 623333377 or # 93762 do they work well in the vertical position ? what is your opinion of the machine ?

I've gotten my money's worth out of mine. I did shorten its base so it would slide under my work table - which destabilized it so I had to mount some wider 1x4''s under. I mostly use it in the horizontal position to cut 2 1/2" aluminum and brass round bar. But I also use it vertically and I've cut wood, plastic, metal sheet. I sit on the rear of the saw and I don't use the big plate - just lift it up and go.

when you use it vertical does it feel comfortable to use , do you have to reach in with your body twisted ? thanks I appreciate your input !

I use mine vertically all the time to cut out tabs from 1/8 inch sheet.
I usually put my left foot on the bed of the saw, so I can push the part into the blade and not have the saw tip backwards.

Yes some saws are more top-heavy than others - could be tumbled over when in the vertical position-some early saws (like mine, and I need to add one) don't have a locking pin to hold the saw up- use caution and perhaps block the wheels
I put extended wheel runners on mine to help mitigate that effect
Mark

Probably use mine vertical as much as horizontal. Use a clip light on it and sit astraddle of it. Works great for me.
Dave

I've actually put the table on mine for ripping a piece of 1 in. aluminum plate. Works fine, if a little low for extended or regular vertical use. Sit on the bed to allow sufficient feed pressure without tipping over.

I have make a wooden frame 2X4's for my HF saw so that I could make the base longer to solve the instability of the vertical saw and also to put swivel rollers on it. No problems with this arrangement. I also make it wider and placed a gutter under the cutting side to collect all the swarf. Slanted it towards the front and extended the gutter to that any liquid would drip off outside the wooden frame and into a bucket.
DBQ49er

Back