harbor freight band saw

I've owned four such bandsaws, of various brands (refurbished and sold two, still own two, from consolidating two shops). They've all worked well in vertical mode. But it's kind of a pain to attach and detatch the flimsy sheet metal table. Here's an article by Rick Sparber, a forum member, that shows how to add an "instant vertical mode" table:
http://rick.sparber.org/FTHV.pdf

I have used mine vertical a fair amount for roughing out sheet. I would say that if using vertically take the few minutes to mount the table so you can use your hands to control the work piece instead of wasting some of your energy holding it up to the blade. I guarantee you will get better control, better cuts, fewer jams, and longer blade life if you do. Especially if roughing sheet.

I'm actually thinking about setting my 4x6 up semi permanently as a vertical. I have a new motor on it and it definitely wants to tip back. I have it mounted on the end of a roller conveyor currently, and I added a couple stabilizer legs to prevent that. If I convert it to vertical only (I bought a 7x12 for most horizontal work) I'll build a stand with longer reach legs in the back so it will be stable.

That table is not wonderful on these saws. I plan to make a nicer table out of aluminum plate for mine. Not to heavy. Probably 1/4 or 3/8 aluminum plate.

Also, consider untwisting the blade. With the twist your throat is one leg of a right triangle. With no twist the throat is the hypotenuse.

I've owned four such bandsaws, of various brands (refurbished and sold two, still own two, from consolidating two shops). They've all worked well in vertical mode. But it's kind of a pain to attach and detatch the flimsy sheet metal table. Here's an article by Rick Sparber, a forum member, that shows how to add an "instant vertical mode" table:
http://rick.sparber.org/FTHV.pdf

Oooohhh! I like it! Something worthy of my "Stupidly Simple Designs" series.

I don't own one yet but I'm sure thinking of getting one. I do have a Rockwell 7 bandsaw and a power hacksaw. I've been watching for a used vertical but the used prices out way the new HF combo saw . But I plan on mounting it upright for vertical use only , by doing that I can make the table any height I need. And I won't need the sub assembly at all , but will make a much larger table. If I'm lucky ill find an old cast iron table somewhere.

I use my HF4x6 vertically all the time by sitting on the stand right over the switch. I just cut a pair of L-shaped 5" x 3/4" pieces out of 3/8" plate for a gear puller. It took about 25 minutes.

I know you asked about the 4x6 but the 7x12 97009 model is a much better built machine, IMO, and there's a 25% coupon if you buy it Easter weekend...or is it just on Easter Sunday? I was going to go with the 4x6 but everyone I talked to said to just save up for the 7x12, especially if you can get it on sale and use the 20% off (or 25%). I've been really happy with my 7x12. If you can manage getting the 7x12 then definitely do so.

Absolutely no question that the 7x12 is a much better saw than the lowly 4x6. The only thing the 4x6 has going for it is a nice low price, and that's what keeps it popular. So creative guys on a limited budget treat it like a kit (or - maybe a better simile - like an old jalopy) and customize the heck out of it to get something worthwhile. As I mentioned previously, I've owned (at least) 4 of them, and enjoy the challenge. If I were a "real" machinist and/or trying to make money building things, I'd definitely go for a better saw.

As they say in the post office, to each his zone :)

Curious, if anyone has ever used narrower blades, like ¼", to do contour cutting with these machines?

I bought the small one, used it to build a rail for my deck then sold it on Craigslist.
I was not impressed. It did the job though.
You will benefit by replacing the $.38 blade they come with imho.

Back