Harbor Freight Gun Safe

Damn shame when you have to hire a lawyer in order to keep a gun.

The biggest problem with your gun safe is that it looks like a gun safe, and thieves love guns. Unless it weighs at least 1/2 ton, built like a Sherman tank, and is bolted to the planet earth, all a pair of thieves need is a cheap 4 wheel HF dolly. A couple of folks that I know got some saddles and tools stolen from their farm. So they put a camera on a pole that was easy to see. Later on the thieves took the camera.

Lay it on its side, and cover it with a table cloth, use it for a coffee table.

Get two of them, cover them with grey carpeting, and make a fake front to look like some giant speakers.

Google can give you lots of ideas.

Tell the home invader to wait until I unlock and load my weapon before he does something. Yeah right!
An unloaded lock up weapon is useless in an emergency situation. Don't need em all loaded or unlocked, just one.

Ron

Tell the home invader to wait until I unlock and load my weapon before he does something. Yeah right!
An unloaded lock up weapon is useless in an emergency situation. Don't need em all loaded or unlocked, just one.

Ron
That's why the call it a gun safe and not a holster. ;)

Tom

it’s to comply, it’s basically a large sardine can, it’s like car door and most front door locks, it keeps honest people honest, a true thief can get anyway.

They are a deterrent and work to prevent impulse theft or other idiocy. If a couple of teens break in for a quick score they probably won't have the tools, dedication or experience to get into or carry off the safe. If you get some real hard core thieves then it would take a pretty solid and expensive safe to do more than slow them down. I look at arguments against inexpensive safes kind of like arguing that you might as well leave your car unlocked because a thief can just break a window.

They are a deterrent and work to prevent impulse theft or other idiocy. If a couple of teens break in for a quick score they probably won't have the tools, dedication or experience to get into or carry off the safe. If you get some real hard core thieves then it would take a pretty solid and expensive safe to do more than slow them down. I look at arguments against inexpensive safes kind of like arguing that you might as well leave your car unlocked because a thief can just break a window.
I certainly won't make an argument against an inexpensive safe, but I think it's smart for people to know the limitations they have and the manufacturers make almost no effort to be honest about what they're selling. It's not exactly uncommon to see $50K worth of guns in a $1K safe and have the owner complain how much the safe cost...

I certainly won't make an argument against an inexpensive safe, but I think it's smart for people to know the limitations they have and the manufacturers make almost no effort to be honest about what they're selling. It's not exactly uncommon to see $50K worth of guns in a $1K safe and have the owner complain how much the safe cost...

Sure need to be realistic about the limitations. I have no problem with pointing out the difference between a 16 gauge steel box and a proper safe, just don't get the bank vault or nothing attitude.

A flimsy steel box is way better than the sock drawer to prevent quick and easy stupidity. Flimsy steel box out of sight is even better. A pink Barbie armoire might make a good disguise, better than disguising it as a fridge because they might go looking for your beer.

Back