Harold Hall simple grinding rest

I'm going to keep that in mind for near future project looks really good that.
Do you happen to have drawings for this and kind enough to share them ,It would be greatly appreciated
Regards Nat

Ted, have you used the grinding rest and the end mill sharpening jig yet, to sharpen the flutes on end mills? I tried it a couple of days ago, with a temporary mount and found my setup wasn't very rigid and I had a tough time fine tuning the depth of cut. The biggest problem I had was the crappy grinder vibrating, which caused the grinding rest fence to loosen and that ended up bad for the top end of one of the flutes. I eventually got it to work and can see it has potential to be very useful but will require some more work on my part to stiffen the setup and make the grinder run smoother. The good news is, the end mill flutes were sharp and worked great even after my less than stellar sharpening attempt.

I haven't used it on end mills since I mounted the Norton cup wheels that were changed out at a place I used to work at. My shop time lately has been spent on my new to me mill (see a few posts back) and cleaning up all the stuff I got with it. Finally got it all cleaned up and everything set up and organized just last week, so I most likely will be back playing with the end mills soon.

It actually worked well even with the original wheels I had on the grinder, but I'm sure it will work even better with the better wheels. My setup is pretty stable, but you do have to use a light touch. It's not industrial tough!

Ted

The eBay listing didn't specify, but they appear to be pink aluminum oxide 60 grid wheels??? Hard to say what quality they are, but hey for $20 a pair...

The seller said he stocks a large supply of wheels. I know he had the cup wheels in pink or white. 60 or 80 grit. He said all were not listed. If you contact him - I am sure he will get you what you want.
Jim

Ted, that Jet mill looks really nice. I'm jealous.:big grin:

I really am very pleasantly surprised on how nicely that mill is performing! Very nice for a Chinese product. The guy I bought it from wasn't kidding when he said it had very little use, because everything on it is nice and tight. Runs very smoothly and quiet as a mouse. It is vertically challenged though, but I've got my Brown & Sharpe 2B 50 taper knee mill that I mounted a Bridgeport M head on if I need more travel. The B&S is a great machine, but it's a lot of iron to crank around when working on small parts, which is most of my work. Buying that Jet mill and everything I got with it was definitely the best deal I've ever gotten. A lot of the stuff had light surface rust on it from being is storage for a long time, but it cleaned up nicely, just a lot of work, but it was worth it!

Ted

Update: Well, I like the principles of this rest so much and because I'm looking for a nice project to put my "new to me" mill to the test, I've decided to draw up and make his advance rest now.

So, be on the lookout for a new thread on that!

Ted

Bringing this one back up because I'm seriously thinking about making Harold's tool rest. It seems like a useful tool short of a real tool and bit grinder ($1500+?).

I have a question though, I'm thinking about making this entirely from aluminum since that's what I normally use for machining. Anyone see an issue with that?

I have a question though, I'm thinking about making this entirely from aluminum since that's what I normally use for machining. Anyone see an issue with that?

I would advise against using aluminum - and especially for the tables and holders. The grit from the wheels will embed in the aluminum and not allow parts to slide easily. Steel would be so much more durable and a better investment of your time.
I enjoyed making the project and have enjoyed using it. Good Luck!
Jim

I didn't know about the grit embedding in aluminum, thanks. So, for the materials list looks like I will need a 5"x5"x1/4" plate for the table, the base is just angle iron and the rest of the items can be made out of 5/16" thick 1" x 24" rectangle - all in mild steel?

Back