Has any body used the Drill Hog drills? Or good other suggestion

Jim Dawson.... You are correct about the returns. I purchased a set of Drill Hog HSS bits and broke a number of the smaller ones. Frankly, it was too much of a hassle to send them back IMHO so I just threw them in my scrap pile.
I certainly am not impressed with the HSS Drill Hogs. They don't seem to hold an edge any better than all but the cheapest drill bits. Also, rather peculiar, is a number of them have rusted in their container. They are on a shelf next to my lathe. My lathe is fine, no rust. All of my other equipment seems fine but a few of those drill bits have significant rust on them.

I purchased a small set of Cobalt drill bits from Menards. Those have been awesome. Personally, I would buy Latrobe or similar cobalt ones and forget about Drill Hogs gimmicky warranty.

Message the drill hog eBay seller. Ask if they are USA. They are not. Just buy Norseman and don’t look back. How many drills are you breaking that you could package them up and make it worth the time and money. Buy Norseman.
Looks like the M7's are made in the US but the M42 says made by not made in. Interesting. I thought I heard they, the M7's were made by Viking Drill which, correct me if I'm wrong, make Norseman or are owned by Norseman.

Looks like the M7's are made in the US but the M42 says made by not made in. Interesting. I thought I heard they, the M7's were made by Viking Drill which, correct me if I'm wrong, make Norseman or are owned by Norseman.

Would be very easty to identify the manufacturer of the drills from a photo. Try to get a photo.

My favorite brand for jobber drills is Chicago Latrobe.....
I like them too. The shop I worked in only bought Chicago-Latrobe drills unless we needed a stub length or special. The problem is that most hobbyists can't afford their price and are looking performance at a bargain.

I like them too. The shop I worked in only bought Chicago-Latrobe drills unless we needed a stub length or special. The problem is that most hobbyists can't afford their price and are looking performance at a bargain.

I bought 4 sets of Chicago-Latrobe drills in 2015 and I'm still using them today, they are the best non-cobalt drills I have ever used...

Viking and Norseman are the same family of drills. Are you saying that that you thought that M7 Drill Hogs were made by Norseman? Call Norseman to verify. 18003284655.

What exactly is the "Lifetime Warranty"?
Warranty is for the life of the drill bit. When it breaks, its' life is over!

Actually, reworking drills is straight forward enough (i.e. cut downs, reduced shank, flat bottom, different angles as a counter sink, thinned webs etc) that I keep a generous collection of old bits. I get lots of old bits that other people throw away - handy for those odd tasks - then I keep those special mods for the next time.

Another scam on eBay is to put chinese marked or unmarked drill bits in a HUOT index and say USA in the listing. Yes, Huot indexes are made in the USA. The drills are not. All Norseman drills are marked clearly and once you see one, they are easy to identify.
For the best prices on Norseman drill sets, Patrick at Industrial Supply Center in NC will take care of you. Mention you are a hobby machinist forum member and you will be happy.

After considering the various comments here, I bought Drill Hog sets, all the letters, numbers and fractions, and Silver & Deming up to 1".
My existing set was a 115 piece set from Enco (remember them?). Comparatively, the Drill Hog set looks better, feels sharper and cuts just as well as I could expect. I'm happy. In fact, I already cut myself by brushing against a drill bit in the tailstock. I can report it cuts like a razor. :)

Back