Heating and cooling shop?

I wanna say Panasonic but its been too long. I remember it was a Brand Name but that's all I remember.

I think most of it comes down to insulation. My 1979 built fully finished garage is about 22ftx20ft. I bought this Hair portable 12k btu unit for it about 5yrs ago but it struggles to keep it below 78 if the outside temps are over 90F http://www.amazon.com/Haier-Commercial-Conditioner-CPF12XHL-UV-BR-REFURBISHED/dp/B0096E712G

Turns out that while the one wall and the ceiling that I finished with R19 insulation the other wall doesn't have any insulation behind it, this also happens to be the wall that gets the most sun in the afternoon. Also the roof doesn't have enough vents so the attic cooks to above 120F.

BTW I went with the portable unit because at the time the DIY mini splits weren't common and I didn't want to have to modify framing of the load bearing wall with jack studs and headers etc to make room for a through-the-wall ac unit.

My Shop is Spray Foamed 360° like an Igloo Cooler and it still couldn't keep up.

Congrats! Did you install it yourself? If so, what made you decide on Lennox vs. Mr. Cool?

Congrats! Did you install it yourself? If so, what made you decide on Lennox vs. Mr. Cool?
Nope, I did not install it myself. They did it in one day, in my case it would have been drawn out. I wanted it in and done!

Here in AZ I tried a Mini Split the said it would cool 900 sq ft. Ha, not even close. My shop is only 480 sq ft. After it crapped out a Guy on CL installed a regular AC unit, much better.
This is meaningless without knowing the btu, the outside air temperature and how it's insulated. No doubt the manufacturer claims reflect a well insulated room.

Last edited:
I hear you, I want to DIY everything but sometimes it's so much easier and faster to get someone else to just take care of it. Out of curiosity what's the installation cost run on the mini splits?

I think most of it comes down to insulation. My 1979 built fully finished garage is about 22ftx20ft. I bought this Hair portable 12k btu unit for it about 5yrs ago but it struggles to keep it below 78 if the outside temps are over 90F http://www.amazon.com/Haier-Commercial-Conditioner-CPF12XHL-UV-BR-REFURBISHED/dp/B0096E712G

Turns out that while the one wall and the ceiling that I finished with R19 insulation the other wall doesn't have any insulation behind it, this also happens to be the wall that gets the most sun in the afternoon. Also the roof doesn't have enough vents so the attic cooks to above 120F.

BTW I went with the portable unit because at the time the DIY mini splits weren't common and I didn't want to have to modify framing of the load bearing wall with jack studs and headers etc to make room for a through-the-wall ac unit.

I had two quotes, they offered different machines....$4700 and $6750. Same scope of work.

Best thing you can do, to start, is insulate & seal up all the cracks. You should insulate around the foundation to about 3" deep in my area. Heat pumps need additional help to heat in cold weather. Here it rarely gets to -20F at which point our heat pump is just burning electricity, not putting out enough heat to mater. The claim was heat to -10F, might, a little? Having big windows/doors on all sides for good air flow will keep some of us from having to feed the A/C, much of the time.

Back