Heating the Shop in Vermont

I second the natural gas / propane option (100-200 gal tank). I just installed this in December - 45,000 BTU. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Its direct vent with separated combustion. Up-front cost much higher than electric of course.

PXL_20201219_140214255.jpg

I second the natural gas / propane option (100-200 gal tank). I just installed this in December - 45,000 BTU. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Its direct vent with separated combustion. Up-front cost much higher than electric of course.

View attachment 357156
Mind if I ask how much that cost to purchase and install? Or did you install yourself?

I did most of the work myself - only hired for the natural gas line install. Was a bit over $1k for the line. I thought even that was a bit high but it was a competitive price in my area.

I already had a stub in the garage; had them put a tee in a few years ago when I did the gas dryer. The work was essentially a 2 foot tap off the existing line, ~30 feet along the wall and then 8 feet up (which is the part you can see in the picture). Would have been fairly easy DIY, but I'm wasn't messing with the liability.

Wow, 1k and it was already in the garage? I guess this is why I stayed away from gas even though I knew it was a god choice, my line is nowhere near the shop.

It is amazing how locales dictate prices for services and products. $1000 just to run the gas line would be considered highway robbery around here.

To me, electricity for heat always seems like a poor choice. The install cost is low but long term heating cost is high compared to natural gas. My very first "shop" which consisted of a poorly insulated two car garage was heated with a natural gas furnace. I purchased a used one that someone was taking out of their home. I think I paid $100 for it.

@vtcnc my install of the gas line in '2000 was a couple of hundred dollars.

I installed a $75 regular house furnace I bought used, and it worked well for 10 years. I upgraded to a ceiling mount 50,000 BTU 5 years ago. Both furnaces were self installed. -- not exactly in line with code BTW, but I've gas fitted for years. If everything is in place a gas fitter should charge minumum plus parts, about 200$ for the install in Calgary prices...

those 50K BTU furnaces can be had for about 300-400 bucks, new up here. So 800 bucks if your run isn't too long.

I grew up in Duluth, Mn, and did a lot of work in a wood heated shop. Most of my career in Savannah, Ga was using the garage for a shop with no options other than door open/closed. Welding with the heat and humidity in the 90's is tough.

For my retirement shop (about 1000 sq ft), I went the natural gas heater route, very much like keeena, but an 80,000 BTU unit. Trenched the gas line from the house, along with cable TV and internet. And a dehumidifier. All DIY. I currently also have window AC unit in the workshop. Frankly it's great not having to deal with rust. I keep the shop set at 45 when I'm not there, and it will heat up to 60 (my working temp) in less than 15 minutes.

My garage (separate building from the shop) has a mini-split HVAC unit. Eventually I'd like to put one of those in the workshop too.

@GunsOfNavarone - Would you guys believe that the HVAC companies (the large "brand" HVAC companies in my area) wanted ~$5250 for the entire install? That is with a ~$1k Modine. So roughly $4250 for the gas line, hang, electric, and punch a vent thru the wall. And on top of that: I doubt the install would be as tidy. Yeah - it's expensive in my area. :(

For ref: the heater I got was $1500 plus $200 for the concentric vent box. The heater I got has the upgraded stainless heat exchanger - felt it was worth the extra bucks.

Near my previous house, there was a house exploded due to old gas line on the outside of the house. I don't know how outside line can cause gas to enter the inside. After that, the whole neighborhood got their line replaced. Many houses have concrete parking redo for free because the line is below it.

Back