Height gauge lower arm stuck

Rob_fixit

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was recently gifted some machinist tools and amongst them is a Starrett no. 454 vernier height gauge that had been wrapped in some kind of clear plastic, and perhaps oiled prior to being wrapped, then left in the box for a decade or three. The plastic was brittle and came off without issue, but there remains a residue and the lower arm and marking tool are firmly stuck in place. Thus far I have tried, in order of application: mineral spirits, acetone, ultrasonic cleaner with simple green, WD-40, brake cleaner and penetrating oil...and it cleaned up a little but is still stuck. I am considering evaporust and electrolysis next. What else may help?

795ADD70-C8D1-4A0F-AEA5-2EA4333A7AFA.jpeg
4A91D063-D55B-48BE-AAC3-F34FF89B2DDF.jpeg

You've tried all of my stand-bys for stuck devices. Except for making/getting something you can immerse the first 6 inches of it in non-synthetic ATF. Soak for a week, try moving it. Still stuck? Back in and try in another week.

Try alcohol aka methyl hydrate if you can still get it your area. It can work well on oil that has turned to varnish over many years. Butyl cellosolve would probably do it too, but that’s a bit out there for ordinary-access solvents.

After soaking for a week in isopropyl alcohol for a week, and then Acetone for another week, Then I'd use a heat gun and focus only on the back side of slide to help expand it without heating the post.

***NOTE*** When soaking, remove the locking nuts on the arms. This really helps get the penetrant into the slides.

After soaking for a week in isopropyl alcohol for a week, and then Acetone for another week, Then I'd use a heat gun and focus only on the back side of slide to help expand it without heating the post.

***NOTE*** When soaking, remove the locking nuts on the arms. This really helps get the penetrant into the slides.
Hey dab . Is this the same model of the one I brought up ? I found a Starrett clamp and scribe set for these when cleaning up .

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! I ordered some Marvel Mystery Oil since that is what Starrett uses, and will try a bit of heat in the meantime.

Starrett does not use marvel.. it uses it's own oil that it has formulated.
I should have read through the post. my bad, they may loosen them using marvel, but they lubricate everything with their own oil.

Those double slides tend to bind when you get them too far apart. If you can back off the upper slide from its travel screw and remove it, it may make it easy to slide the lower one off. I would NOT remove the thumb screws, they have peened ends to prevent them from falling out in use.

My point being the bind is more likely mechanical, but what do I know. Someone could have put Krazy Glue on it before oiling and storing.

Back