Heighth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Registered
Registered
Heighth or height?

I cringe every time I here a machinist on youtube say heighth. I was just watching Robin Renzeti and he said heighth. I nearly fell out of my chair.

From the interwebs google verse:

The noun form of broad is breadth, the noun form of long is length, and the noun form of wide is width. Because of this, some people follow the pattern and sayheighth, with a th at the end of the word high. That is not standard English. The correct form is height.

Lets here what you all have to say about this.

Last edited:
From http://grammarist.com

Heighth is a colloquial variant of height formed by analogy with similar measurement terms such as length, breadth, width, and depth, which end in th. Heighth might be considered incorrect in formal writing, and no dictionaries that we know of list it as a living word. Its use is a common peeve among people who consider themselves careful users of English.

I think it's just a dialect thing - people in different parts of the country (or different countries) say words differently. I have heard a good few people from the Northeast US who say "heighth."

That article from grammarist cites the OED as saying "heighth" in various forms is attested from before the 16th century - so there's some serious historical precedent there!

Yes, it seems to be regional. I hear it a lot around here (Philadelphia suburbs) - mainly from older folks. It makes me shiver.

I point that out occasionally on YouTube video comments. You are absolutely correct, but the incorrect usage is strongly ingrained with machinists.

I hear it a lot, but I don't let it bother me. Its is a very common usage.

What actually grabs my attention is when I hear someone use a made-up word. It is becoming quite prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back