Hello All My First Post And New Machine

Laytonnz

Registered
Registered
Well im from new zealand and into motorcycles recently ive developed a thing for machines... so i brought a drill press that was in desperate need of a rebuild since i completed that i wanted another project so i brought this any info would be appreciated

Has an austin 7 gearbox to change speeds
20150816_120303_zpscj7f0ksr.jpg
402271936_zps05bjgcff.jpg

Its a john laing and sons lathe brought for $250
Machinery is very expensive here

Interesting power "transmission." I'll bet it even has reverse. It looks like a serviceable lathe, even has a Four Tool Post.

Laytonnz,

First, welcome to the site.
Sorry I have no info or experience with that make.

That a nice stick shift lathe! Is there a clutch or do you set the speed before turning on the motor?
It looks like a very solid and large-capacity machine. Congratulations.

Is that pulley under the spindle on the end of the bed used to drive the carriage lead-screw?
If so it's fine for turning, but you may consider changing that to a chain or gear-train drive to eliminate belt slips so you can guarantee spindle and carriage sync. That would make it useful for thread cutting. Of course you may need to find (or make) a set of gears to get the feeds you'd want.

I hope you get many years of service out of it!

-brino

As this is my first lathe ive ever used you wil,have to be paitent with the terminology of everything

Yup is does have a pully to drive the carrage screw i dont think it has a clutch i havnt had time to use it yet the gear box looks like its had a hard life need to weld up a crack in the case.
its in storeage untill we move house in the near future!

What's the large bar below the "carrage"? Used for

That might be for an operating lever, the lever would slide along the square, to be with the carriage, pull up to start rotation, push down to stop. I don't see the lever, it may have been abandoned. If that is what it is, it would have operated a clutch.

Hi Again,

I saved your pictures so I could zoom-in better.
It is hard to tell for sure, but my best guess is below.

What I see is that that bottom bar looks like what is labelled item #21 in this image at the site Savarin pointed to:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/lang/img1.jpg
or about 1/4 of the way down the page here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/lang/

and there item #21 is labelled as "optional automatic, multi-stop disengage to the carriage drive (Item 21)"
It looks like it is meant to mechanically disengage the carriage feed.
There should be some movable dogs that you can set as feed stops.

However, the top bar that I thought was a lead-screw is not threaded!
Maybe it's just a feed rod? Does it have a key way running the full length?
Is there a hidden lead-screw between the ways?

Have you got any pictures of the headstock end?

-brino

Last edited:
My plan is to pull it apart clean/fix or replace anything that needs it and learn as i go

The guy i brought it off had the shop "boy" paint it he painted the machined surfaces and the bed and pretty much everything then went on and put greese everywhere! Needless to say the bloke i brought it from wasnt impressed and has no time to spend on it as he has many more machines..

Thanks for replys i will take some more detailed pictures during the weekend of bits and bobs there is something sitting under the lathe that looks like its supposed to be on a shaft somewhere will take pictures of that too see if anybody an identity it

Everything seems like its adjusted poorly aswell but im sure with some tlc and abit of help i can get it going fairly well for its old age..

Back