Hello All My First Post And New Machine

I would magnaflux test that carriage before getting to involved in this machine. It may not be a crack but it's simple test to be sure so you don't have problems later.
I would but I looked into it and i can't find anybody in town who does it, I'll Just risk it because it's a learning curve for me how this thing works but thanks .

Hi Laytonnz,

You've made some great progress! Congratulations.
You will know that machine inside out.

By the way, even if that is a crack, it does NOT mean the entire machine is scrap. I know I differ from a lot of people on here, but I do not have the budget for new machine tools, and even great-shape used ones can come with a high cost.

I believe that as long as you ensure it is safe then go for it. Further down the road, if it does cause issues with accuracy, you can start thinking about how to improve it.

It's also about setting expectations. I know I'll never produce NASA-grade parts on some of my worn equipment; but I am also sure that I'll never need to! I always try for the best accuracy I can get, but it's all relative. There is such thing as "good enough".
For me a working, inaccurate machine is infinitely better than no machine.

Keep up the great work, you will have a very useful tool when you're done. :encourage:

-brino

I spent the good part of 3 hours sanding the bronze bushes to fit the spindle again due to abuse over the years and i cant afford to get nice new ones machined so what should i use for lube on re assembly? Just normal oil or greese?

Who can find the crack running through the chuck??

Ahhh that's anoying
20150905_205034_zpsliohw5lr.jpg

Lucky nobody got killed by an exploding chuck

20150905_205052_zpsehj4ye5t.jpg

20150905_212727_zpsm8u9km3n.jpg
I now have an over sized drill press vice

20150905_205034_zpsliohw5lr.jpg

20150905_205052_zpsehj4ye5t.jpg

20150905_212727_zpsm8u9km3n.jpg

Last edited:
...see also figure 21 here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/Lang-catalogue-1/

many similarities to:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=6504

and a little bit over here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=4083
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=4083&tab=6

they made some big lathes:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=18206

-brino

...and by the way; nice trailer and good tie-down job. You look like an old lathe pro that way!

have to disagree on the good tie-down job

actually it is a very bad job

the ties are only holding the lathe down, but do not secure it from tipping over sideways

two ties to each side going through the bed/headstock and back to the side would have been the way to do it

Who can find the crack running through the chuck??

I have never seen that before.......it makes me think I should go inspect all my chucks with a fresh eye for this.........

I would guess that a cracked chuck had been dropped.
This crack is right at the corner of the t-slot; a real stress point!
I imagine when tightening the jaws that crack would open up.

Laytonnz - How did you first notice it?
Is there any other sign of it being dropped? (perhaps a dented edge?)

I now have an over sized drill press vice

Way to make lemonade!

-brino

Ohhhh I think you are going to fit right in here! Keep them coming. Learned a lot from you already. Thanks, CG

I have never seen that before.......it makes me think I should go inspect all my chucks with a fresh eye for this.........

I would guess that a cracked chuck had been dropped.
This crack is right at the corner of the t-slot; a real stress point!
I imagine when tightening the jaws that crack would open up.

Laytonnz - How did you first notice it?
Is there any other sign of it being dropped? (perhaps a dented edge?)

Way to make lemonade!

-brino

I actually didnt notice it untill re assembly once all the oil and chips where gone i seen a chip in the retainer ring so i lined it all up and noticed the crack i gave the 2 retainer rings a slight twist and they crumbled into pieces oh well, im going to vists my machinest friend today to see if he can spin me up a new backplace for a different chuck

This is how the rest looks at the moment just primed the tail stock this afternoon

20150906_182452_zps0aedqvo2.jpg
Ideas on how to remove the back plate? Looks as if there is a crushed spacer/washer thing in there I'm unsure how it works or how to remove it I've tried putting the chuck back on and using the jaws as leavers the chuck is stuffed anyways so can't hurt it anymore I found another hairline Crack through the other side of the body as well I have tried strapping the spindle to a large bar on the floor to stop.it rolling around but I can't get this thing to budge looks as if it's never been removed ....

20150905_212914_zpszju65z6q.jpg

20150908_161531_zpskk5jqfio.jpg

20150908_161552_zpsrmrra09w.jpg

20150906_182452_zps0aedqvo2.jpg

20150905_212914_zpszju65z6q.jpg

20150908_161531_zpskk5jqfio.jpg

20150908_161552_zpsrmrra09w.jpg

Last edited:
Back