Hello all. New to the forum

motorman3000

Registered
Registered
I live in upstate NY and have been tinkering with machining here and there. Nothing to serious. I have a Hamilton lathe and I just picked up a South Bend (serial #14176RKK16). I am excited to use a "real" machine. I have picked up a 1-3hp static phase converter, BUT the unit is a 3/4 hp motor. I do not want to ruin anything by having to much power to the motor. It does turn on but after about 15 seconds it trips. I did order a new 1/3-3/4 hp static phase converter today just in case that is the issue. I am looking for any input and information on the south bend. Thanks in advance for any help. Also a approximate value on the SB

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific... The reset on the back of the unit. The (contactors)??? The thermo wires start glowing red then the unit breaker trips. Hopefully that is what they are called. I do not know the technical terms for them. When you press the forward or revers buttons, they contact to provide power the about 15 seconds the trip.

Hi Motorman, welcome to the group!

I know nothing about phase converters, but I know many people here do.
Stay tuned and I'm sure you will get some good advice!

-brino

Change to a rotary converter, then you can get lots of machines, different size motors - no problem. RPC's are very forgiving.

Chipper5873 Not to sound dumb (I will though) what is the difference between the static phase converter and a rotary converter??

From da Google...
A rotary phase converter, abbreviated RPC, is an electrical machine that converts power from one polyphase system (including frequency) to another, converting through rotary motion. Typically, single-phase electric power is used to produce three-phase electric powerlocally to run three-phase loads (any industrial machinery with three-phase motors) in premises (often residential or consumer) where only single-phase is available.

Basically, you use another motor to generate the third leg for three phase power.

A static phase converter does this electronically, by magic.

YIKES!! They are pricey!! I would love to get 1 but they are outa my reach for a while. I just picked up a tool post for it today. That was missing. So now, as soon as I get the new phase converter (hopefully it works) It should be in working mode. Any idea when it was made and what model it is?? I know it's a 10 inch but from what I read the were a couple different models. The light 10 and the heavy 10. I know it goes by the serial number 14176RKK16 but from what I read it is identified by the R or a K. Well mine has both.... So is it a light heavy model or a heavy light model....lol

Hi and welcome to THM!
Your SBL may be a 1948. You can look for yourself here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/south-bend-lathe-works.85/
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html
http://www.southbendlathe.com/older-machines/serial-numbers
R= 10 inch
K= Quick Change Gear (QCG), Friction Feed Apron,
Underneath Motor Drive (UMD
K= Taper Key Lock Spindle
If you happen to have a picture or two of your Hamilton lathe please post.
Estimating price requires pictures and descriptive info. Location is also a factor.
lk

Last edited:
I will get a couple pics this weekend. Upstate NY near Albany is where I am located. The SBL came from a school at some point over the past bunch of years. I want to get it put back together before I take any pics. The manual carriage control had a broken ....shear pin?? Local hardware shop had roll pins so I replace it with that. Everything seems to work so far. Needs a really good cleaning due to it sitting in a barn for how ever long. Lots of pigeon crap on it. Once I get the power figured out Ill be in good shape.

Back