Hello all. New to the forum

Charles Spencer I have been looking at that option also. I was told that there is a "frame" that I would need to find on the motor tag so I can get the correct mounting frame. On the tag there is no frame size that I can find. 17274791_10209118464867655_443874568_n.jpg

Now that I think about it there may be another tag on the end of the motor... To cold to mess with it today.. or right now, maybe later. About 11 degrees here. Keeps going to 70 then dropping to freezing.

Frame sizes for motors are now standardized under a system established by NEMA: www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.htm
On older machines, motors were built to different frame and mounting dimensions which may not correspond to the current standards. My Logan was like that: the motor
plate indicated it was a "118" frame motor, which has no exact equivalent in the NEMA standard. I was able to compare dimensions and found that a NEMA 56 frame
motor would fit the mount, which was handy since the 56 frame is extremely common and easy to find. If you have a look at the standard and measure your motor
mount you should find a NEMA frame that will fit, or if you post a question on the South Bend sub-forum, someone might be able to give you the answer. Charles is right,
changing motors might be easiest. I found my motor as new old stock on eBay for about 1/2 of the usual retail price, or, if you use a common frame size, you might be able to find a used
motor. Do you have single phase 220V
available at the lathe, or 110V?

Last edited:
Pull the roll pin out before you use the lathe and replace it with a shear pin, (from someone that sells/services outboard motors) or some similar source. Roll pins are spring steel. You want soft steel.

I just wanted to restate what Tom said above. Put in a shear pin!

For you motor issue, a VFD would be the simple and inexpensive way to go. Given that your motor is 3/4 HP, a 1HP (0.75KW) VFD would be perfect. I also note that the motor is 208 Volt, common in schools and other commercial venues. A VFD can be adjusted to output 208V. As a recommendation, if you have 220v single phase, this is the one I would install https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-21P0

Just wanted to say thank you all for the help/pointers BUT.... I think I may have taken on more than my little shop can handle. I do have 220 v and I operate my mig welder on it all the time. I bought 2 static phase converters 1 for 1-5 hp and another 1/3-3/4 hp and the larger one trips the machines breaker, the smaller one wont even turn the machine on. I think I am going to sell it (if I can figure a price) or trade it for a smaller 220v or large 110v machine. I don't have the money to keep throwing at it to attempt to get it to work on the available power source. Thanks again. Anyone have an idea of its worth???

I think I am going to sell it (if I can figure a price) or trade it for a smaller 220v or large 110v machine. I don't have the money to keep throwing at it to attempt to get it to work on the available power source. Thanks again. Anyone have an idea of its worth???

Sell what? The whole lathe or the RPCs?

Back