Hello all. New to the forum

If you find a model number (often on the gear chart) I may be able to find a PDF copy of the original catalog for it.

-brino

Welcome to the forum motorman.

Another option for you to consider for your 3 phase motor is to use a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive). They can convert single phase to 3 phase, and also give
you the ability to vary the motor speed. For more info on all this stuff, you can have a look at the sub-forum:
ELECTRICAL ISSUES - POWER YOUR MACHINES & SHOP

Last edited:
Hi Motorman- static phase converters use capacitors to generate the third leg, rotary ones use an "idler" motor to do it. The static ones usually are matched to one specific machine motor and always with that machine motor, whereas the rotaries are more like utility power, not as fussy and can run multiple machines, with cleaner waveforms.
Mark S.

Ok... I have BRIEFLY looked at the VFD... I would obviously need one in the "range" of hp.... Right??? If that is the case (go figure) they are more expensive then the 2-?? hp. There is no way I could afford a rotary set up, but the VFD could be possible as long as I can figure out which one I should get. The motor I have is a 3/4 hp. This is the machine. PART_1489194830058_IMG_20170310_125000.jpg

Hi Motorman
First of all, what part of upstate New York, i live in Tacoma Wa, but am originally from the Cortland area.
Second, if you want a rotary converter, they are not hard to build. There is a lot of info on the net about how they work, and what you need to make one. I built one for my 3hp milling machine a few years ago. The main thing is that your idler moter on the convertor must be at least as large a horse power as the largest moter that you will be running. For my 3hp mill, i used a 5hp idler motor.
There are also kits available on ebay where you buy the cabinet with all the switches and capacitors in place, and wire in your own idler moter which you can find almost anywhere, and a used motor is not going to cost big bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok... I have BRIEFLY looked at the VFD... I would obviously need one in the "range" of hp.... Right??? If that is the case (go figure) they are more expensive then the 2-?? hp. There is no way I could afford a rotary set up, but the VFD could be possible as long as I can figure out which one I should get. The motor I have is a 3/4 hp.

There is a lot of useful info on VFD's on the forum, but it's a good idea to research them a bit. I'm in the process of doing the same thing for my lathe. Having said that, there are a few models
of VFD that folks seem to favor and any of them is probably a reasonable choice. You do have to match the VFD to the HP of your motor, and as I understand it it's better to get a VFD rated
a bit higher. There are other folks on the forum that can answer your questions much better than I can, so I'll defer to them. And again, if you have a look at the Electrical sub-forum, it will
help you understand them better.

My friend who is a retired electrical engineer that built my phase converter. I have 3 machines that run 3 phase. lathe, Bridgeport, and a surface grinder. My pony motor is about 1 -1/2 hp, thats all we could find at the time and it was cheap. My bridgeport is about 2hp. He said it will work, and it does with no problems. He did say it should be bigger. But it turns out I can run all 3 machines at the same time. I haven't tryed working them to the max all at once, but they seem to run good.

Pull the roll pin out before you use the lathe and replace it with a shear pin, (from someone that sells/services outboard motors) or some similar source. Roll pins are spring steel. You want soft steel.

Back