Help Identifying a Carbide Insert

jbaccell

Registered
Registered
Good Afternoon,

When I purchased my K.O. Lee T&C Grinder several months ago, the seller sent along a bunch of other items. This included several indexable drills that had hard lives but still useable. I'm trying to figure out what type and size inserts they use and I'm hoping the photo below might enable someone to identify the insert and provide some much needed guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Attachments

• Carbide Insert.jpg
    Carbide Insert.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 32
Definitely a Trigon. WNMG if it's double-sided, WxMT if it's not (where 'x' is some relief angle, not visible in the pic. You've got to figure out the inscribed circle, could be 1.8 or 2(?). Can't tell the thickness, but that's the last bit you'd need to find a good replacement.

GsT

Definitely a Trigon. WNMG if it's double-sided, WxMT if it's not (where 'x' is some relief angle, not visible in the pic. You've got to figure out the inscribed circle, could be 1.8 or 2(?). Can't tell the thickness, but that's the last bit you'd need to find a good replacement.

GsT
Gene,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help, I truly appreciate it. I took a few more photos based on your post and I hope it will confirm the size I need.

Thanks again,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5717.jpg
    IMG_5717.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5718.jpg
    IMG_5718.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 14
WxMTs2yy - where x is the relief - that's the angle from the top to the edge. I can tell that it's not zero, and it's probably 5* or 7* (x = B or C) but I can't tell for sure. s is the size of the biggest circle that fits fully with the outline of the top. I tried figuring it out, but there are 1.2 (0.156"), 1.5(0.187") and 1.8 (0.219") and I can't visualize the circle well enough to tell which. 'yy' are tip radius and chipbreaker which won't impact the fit in your tool.

If you can measure those two things: the angle of the edge and the inscribed circle, you could get something that would work.

Having done all that, be sure to look at the manufacturer's recommended suitable materials and try to get something suitable or cheat a little and get something good for alloy steel as those seem to work pretty well across the board in hobby sized machines. (YMMV, there are thousands and I've tried perhaps a dozen, but that's my experience thus far.)

GsT

Edit: typo

WxMTs2yy - where x is the relief - that's the angle from the top to the edge. I can tell that it's not zero, and it's probably 5* or 7* (x = B or C) but I can't tell for sure. s is the size of the biggest circle that fits fully with the outline of the top. I tried figuring it out, but there are 1.2 (0.156"), 1.5(0.187") and 1.8 (0.219") and I can't visualize the circle well enough to tell which. 'yy' are tip radius and chipbreaker which won't impact the fit in your tool.

If you can measure those two things: the angle of the edge and the inscribed circle, you could get something that would work.

Having done all that, be sure to look at the manufacturer's recommended suitable materials and try to get something suitable or cheat a little and get something good for alloy steel as those seem to work pretty well across the board in hobby sized machines. (YMMV, there are thousands and I've tried perhaps a dozen, but that's my experience thus far.)

GsT

Edit: typo
Gene, I finally had a few minutes to look at the insert again. I am not sure if I am measuring the angle properly but it looks to be 3 degrees?

Thanks again,

Joe

I've often wondered if there's a simple explaination of how inserts are labeled. I get from the above that the number is a size, but the rest is a mystery to me....

Grab a copy of The Engineers Black Book, its got a whole section breaking down inserts. Makes it pretty simple

Looks to me like a WNMG2.522 insert. Here's how I got to that - refer to the attached pdf from the book:

WNMG2522.jpg

Attachments

• Carbide Insert Designation Charts.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Back