Help Identifying a Carbide Insert

David, thanks very much for your help, I do appreciate it.

Joe
You're welcome. Keep in mind that this is based on the photo you posted. I did my best to calibrate the image in Fusion 360 to get to the Inscribed Circle dimension. It could well be a 1/4" I.C. instead of 5/16" I.C., in which case it would be a WNMG222.

Attachments

• Carbide Insert Designation Charts.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Actually, I'm going to revise that. Looking closer at your photos, the insert is single sided, and has a small relief angle. So it's more likely a WCMT type or WCGT. If the I.C. is 5/16" then the designation would be WCMT2.522 or WCGT2.522. I found these that match the designation:
Hi David and all, the saga continues so I hope I haven't worn out my welcome mat. I had a little more time to look at the indexable drill I have and i just realized I have 6 in total. What I did not realize is that 3 of use them use the insert I previously posted about and 3 use the same style insert but a smaller size

There were no inserts on the drills that use the smaller size insert but there was a partial broken piece still attached by the clamp screw. I was able to measure the thickness .103. I attached 3 additional photos, 1 shows the caliper measuring the thickness of the smaller insert, another is the larger insert that you have all been helping me identify already and the last photo is 2 of the drills to compare the pocket for the smaller size insert and larger one, the smaller one is on the right in the photo.

The photos are not the greatest and I'm not even sure they will help but needless to say, I am clueless as to what inserts I need to buy. I did find on one of the larger drills a make and model number; Komet V5732540.

I thank all of you who have and continue to be patient with me and share your insight and advice, I am most grateful.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG-5743.JPG
    IMG-5743.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-5745.JPG
    IMG-5745.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-5748.JPG
    IMG-5748.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi David and all, the saga continues so I hope I haven't worn out my welcome mat. I had a little more time to look at the indexable drill I have and i just realized I have 6 in total. What I did not realize is that 3 of use them use the insert I previously posted about and 3 use the same style insert but a smaller size

There were no inserts on the drills that use the smaller size insert but there was a partial broken piece still attached by the clamp screw. I was able to measure the thickness .103. I attached 3 additional photos, 1 shows the caliper measuring the thickness of the smaller insert, another is the larger insert that you have all been helping me identify already and the last photo is 2 of the drills to compare the pocket for the smaller size insert and larger one, the smaller one is on the right in the photo.

The photos are not the greatest and I'm not even sure they will help but needless to say, I am clueless as to what inserts I need to buy. I did find on one of the larger drills a make and model number; Komet V5732540.

I thank all of you who have and continue to be patient with me and share your insight and advice, I am most grateful.

Joe
Looking at the middle photo, the smaller insert doesn't fit the boring bar properly - it should be supported on the back sides of the pocket. Without proper support, the insert will likely shift position and/or fracture under load. Looks to me like someone - in desperation - put the wrong sized insert into the bar because that's all they had on hand. The smaller insert looks to me to have a 0.250" I.C. which would be designated WCGT2x2 where x is the thickness. A thickness of 0.103 is non-standard. The choices for thickness are shown on the chart I posted as an attachment earlier - the standard thicknesses are 3/32" (0.094) and 1/8" (0.125) for ANSI specified inserts. If this is an ISO (European spec) insert, the there is a thickness standard T2 which is 2.78mm (0.109") and the full ISO designation would be WCGT04T208.

According to the following, it looks to me like the Komet indexable drills take an insert that is not a standard ANSI or ISO standard. The trigon versions are designated "WOHX" and the "O" and "X" designations are all "Special" meaning they are specific to the manufacturer.

Looking at the middle photo, the smaller insert doesn't fit the boring bar properly - it should be supported on the back sides of the pocket. Without proper support, the insert will likely shift position and/or fracture under load. Looks to me like someone - in desperation - put the wrong sized insert into the bar because that's all they had on hand. The smaller insert looks to me to have a 0.250" I.C. which would be designated WCGT2x2 where x is the thickness. A thickness of 0.103 is non-standard. The choices for thickness are shown on the chart I posted as an attachment earlier - the standard thicknesses are 3/32" (0.094) and 1/8" (0.125) for ANSI specified inserts. If this is an ISO (European spec) insert, the there is a thickness standard T2 which is 2.78mm (0.109") and the full ISO designation would be WCGT04T208.
David, again, my sincerest thanks for your insight and assistance. The illusion of photography, the middle photo showing the drill actually has no insert installed.

According to the following, it looks to me like the Komet indexable drills take an insert that is not a standard ANSI or ISO standard. The trigon versions are designated "WOHX" and the "O" and "X" designations are all "Special" meaning they are specific to the manufacturer.

I am beginning to think you are spot on and probably not worth pursuing any further. I didn't have a specific need for them but since they were included by the seller when I purchased my grinder, I thought I might be able to by standard inserts and try them out.

I thank you so very much for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience, it's been an education and I appreciate it.

Joe

Back