Help making this part on a lathe only.

Sleeve bearings are bronze, not brass. This part is also likely bronze.
If it were me, I would bore out the existing part and insert an OTS bronze bearing.

McMaster sells rod ends and rod end blanks. They have some with bearings, some with plain ends, and even some with vibration dampening cushions.

Sleeve bearings are bronze, not brass. This part is also likely bronze.
If it were me, I would bore out the existing part and insert an OTS bronze bearing.
I forgot bronze and brass differences. You’re right about that.

Boring it out is not a bad idea, but I still wanted to see if could make the part. If I went that route, boring it out and putting a roller bearing would last longer than a brass bearing material I would imagine.

It was just the fact that making a unique part on my lathe for my work sounded fun.

It was just the fact that making a unique part on my lathe for my work sounded fun.
Far be it from me to discourage you, I do it often enough. I was just looking at it as the shortest way to get to the destination. If making a whole new piece, I would make it from steel with a bronze bushing, more easily repaired the next time. Besides, bronze stock is expensive.

Far be it from me to discourage you, I do it often enough. I was just looking at it as the shortest way to get to the destination. If making a whole new piece, I would make it from steel with a bronze bushing, more easily repaired the next time. Besides, bronze stock is expensive.
I just looked at it and the a 6 inch piece of 1.25 is like 90 bucks. Idk why I couldn’t even use aluminum and a bronze sleeve, but idk if bronze is harder than aluminum.

Would I have to use a reamer to get a nice bronze sleeve press fit? I guess most bronze sleeve bearings have a lip so a snap ring would suffice.

Last edited:
Aluminum with a bronze bushing should work just fine. Boring the press fit for the bushing should be no problem, good practice. If you miss there's always loctite.

Aluminum with a bronze bushing should work just fine. Boring the press fit for the bushing should be no problem, good practice. If you miss there's always loctite.
Did you see me ask about turning a taper, then facing the stock after flipping it laterally? (idk if there is a better way to describe flipping the stock?)

Then somehow boring the .625 diameter hole in the four jaw? Can round bar be ran in a 4 jaw vertical like that?

Hold the part with the 1 1/4 rod parallel to the chuck face in 4-jaw. Rough drill, & rough face the 5/8 diameter hole. Bore the .625 diameter to size. Finish face perpendicular to the .625 diameter bore. If you have a boring bar that has an extendable tool bit, you could face the back side, providing you leave enough clearance between the work and the chuck. Other than that you could flip the part and use a 5/8 pin in the bore to locate the backside true and then face it. I would then tap the 7/16 BSF thread? and turn the taper and round last. My .02

Hold the part with the 1 1/4 rod parallel to the chuck face in 4-jaw. Rough drill, & rough face the 5/8 diameter hole. Bore the .625 diameter to size. Finish face perpendicular to the .625 diameter bore. If you have a boring bar that has an extendable tool bit, you could face the back side, providing you leave enough clearance between the work and the chuck. Other than that you could flip the part and use a 5/8 pin in the bore to locate the backside true and then face it. I would then tap the 7/16 BSF thread? and turn the taper and round last. My .02
Thats what I was thinking. I have the aluminum to do that. I just need to get the bronze sleeve bearing. I’m going for it. Thanks for the help!

Back