Help me get over the hump

Thanks for all the replies! I am considering the 1127 now. I'm still worried about it just sitting in my shop collecting dust though. Maybe some lathe projects would help me learn what I can use it for for my automotive projects.

The usual procedure after buying the machine and tooling it up is to use the lathe to make more tools for itself. :)

Last edited:
Can't really add anything new to the wealth of information posted so far, but I can tell you this. I got into machining exactly the way you're about to. I've built several street rods and a few years ago, I needed a custom part milled because I couldn't buy what I wanted. I watched a guy mill it for me and thought this could be interesting. Not too long after, I had my first milling machine and lathe, and it has become my preferred hobby - lot to learn, but I'm having fun.

A word of advice. Within your budget, buy the biggest/heaviest machine your shop can accommodate. My 'go to' lathe is a 13x40, and there have been a few instances where I wished it were bigger. If you're into classic cars, you shouldn't be too intimidated by used equipment, but based on experience, I would suggest being careful to buy a machine that will have easily replaceable parts. It can be a very expensive nightmare if you buy a good piece of equipment that needs what appears to be a relatively minor part but ends up costing a fortune. (I'm currently being very cautious about buying a nice used surface grinder that is no longer in production. If it needs ANYTHING, a good deal could go south in a hurry. Read through my current thread on a K. O. Lee surface grinder, and you'll see what I mean.)

Finally, I would suggest perusing this site regularly. I've learned more about machining from studying the veterans here than I have from any other source. I've never worked in a machine shop, so this is all new. Everybody here is willing to help. Even occasionally, we rookies have something to offer.

Regards,
Terry

Far better to buy used. I bought my knee mill and 12" x 35" lathe for $2,000. Came with several boxes of tooling.

I'm still worried about it just sitting in my shop collecting dust though.

Sorry but this made me laugh ... don't worry, the lathe won't sit. We don't realize how many of the things in our lives that have round things in them. I cannot count the number of times I needed a washer, threaded something or other and whipped it out on the lathe because it was faster to do that than run to the hardware store. A good friend needed a custom adapter to hook up part of the cooling system when installing a V8 in his old Jaguar. In the time it took him to drive to my house, I had the part made. Then there are parts to fix broken things around the house, tools for the lathe or shop, prototypes for an invention that pops into your mind at 3am and it goes on and on.

Don't forget that a lathe is going to be an important element in the personal growth you're about to experience. Trust me; the lathe will not sit for long.

I am new to machining and could use some opinions.

I am trying to justify purchasing a lathe for my hobbies, mainly building classic cars.

I see that the others have pointed you down the route of the lathe, and discussed feature creep,.....
Now it is time to interest you in a Mill! Mills have the same kind of feature creep.....

Lathes are for making things round and flat faced.
Mills are for making things flat.
For example, say you need an angle bracket and only have a block of steel.
You clamp the steel in the vise, insert end mill, and cut the block into an angle bracket.
You definitely need both in order to restore classic cars!

Now as to justification--its a hobby, it needs no justification--other than making you happy.

Sorry but this made me laugh ... don't worry, the lathe won't sit. We don't realize how many of the things in our lives that have round things in them. I cannot count the number of times I needed a washer, threaded something or other and whipped it out on the lathe because it was faster to do that than run to the hardware store. A good friend needed a custom adapter to hook up part of the cooling system when installing a V8 in his old Jaguar. In the time it took him to drive to my house, I had the part made. Then there are parts to fix broken things around the house, tools for the lathe or shop, prototypes for an invention that pops into your mind at 3am and it goes on and on.

Don't forget that a lathe is going to be an important element in the personal growth you're about to experience. Trust me; the lathe will not sit for long.

Very good points!

Thanks everyone for the help! I have decided to go for it! Now I just need to figure out how to mount it!

I see that the others have pointed you down the route of the lathe, and discussed feature creep,.....
Now it is time to interest you in a Mill! Mills have the same kind of feature creep.....

Lathes are for making things round and flat faced.
Mills are for making things flat.
For example, say you need an angle bracket and only have a block of steel.
You clamp the steel in the vise, insert end mill, and cut the block into an angle bracket.
You definitely need both in order to restore classic cars!

Now as to justification--its a hobby, it needs no justification--other than making you happy.

I’m sure a mill is in my future as well, already have a spot picked out for it in my shop as well as a 20amp circuit waiting to power it.

Please, please take the time to ask the guys who own the lathe you're thinking of buying for their opinions on that lathe. They will know the pros and cons and that might make a difference to you. Once you are dead sure you know the machine is right for you, then jump.

Please, please take the time to ask the guys who own the lathe you're thinking of buying for their opinions on that lathe. They will know the pros and cons and that might make a difference to you. Once you are dead sure you know the machine is right for you, then jump.

Will do!

When I bought my lathe and mill my wife asked, "What is a lathe for?" I answered, For making things that are round." "What is a mill for?" she asked. "For making thing that are not round," I answered. My first project on the lathe was a set of four hardwood lids for the stoneware crocks that she uses for kitchen canisters, that paid for the lathe, and I got the mill for free.

Back