[4]

Help me pick test indicator and holder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JoeC

Registered
Registered
Actually I made five offers. After the fifth one is denied you can no longer make an offer but you can still buy it for the buy it now price.
Sorry if my previous post was misleading.
Now I know!

JoeC

Registered
Registered
Joe , I will let you know what I have left . Probably close to 100 or so . If you see something that floats your boat , we will work something out andif you find out its not what you wanted , you can always return it . I'm always here ! I just don't have the need for the majority of high precision tools anymore since I don't work for the government anymore and most likely will not be machining at home .
OK, I don't have much experience with forums. Please PM me or email gulftide2000 yahoo com.

coffmajt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
My favorite is an Interapid .0005 .060 travel test set that I found at an instrument repair company out of tempe az for $115, rebuilt. It has both front and rear dovetail mounts and is my go to indicator for the 4 jaw chuck. I mount it on a Nouga mag base that is so easy to position for almost all setups == Jack

JoeC

Registered
Registered
I have an inexpensive plunger. I'll upgrade later.
Until I feel competent, I think I will pick up an inexpensive test indicator to get close before I pull out the Compac.

Kurt, I hope your indicator problem is not contagious!

Now, for the holders. I want bottom adjust. I'm thinking a post mount Noga PH2040 for a second/long reach.
Help me decide on my primary mag base Noga. NF, DG, MG. The lathe is a 13x40. I don't want one too small to reach nor too big to be awkard.
Easy answer?
Joe

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I went ahead and bought one of the Compacs that Mikey pointed out. I really like the large, uncluttered, easy to read dial, and rev counter.
Much nicer than anything else I was looking at. Thanks, Mikey.

For some reason, I was thinking these were old models. Maybe its recent mfg. I'll ask.
You'll like it, Joe. I have one that I use all the time, another as a back up and another as a back up for the back up so that I'm never without one of these fine indicators. Pretty sure I'll be dead before #2 ever comes into use.

Another one to watch for is a Compac 215GA, the 0.0001" companion to the 214GA. It, too, is a long range indicator with a large, easy to read dial. It is just as precise, just as smooth and just as hard to find because they are no longer made. If you see one of these in good shape, grab it. The last suggestion is the Compac 523LA 0.0005" dial indicator. It is, in my opinion, one of the finest dial indicators ever made - smoooth, repeatable, precise. These have the action of the old B&S Swiss indicators, the kind with no lag in the movement when you switch directions.

Do you need these things? Nope, you don't, but you should know about them because ebay makes it possible to find these things at sometimes stupid prices. My last 214GA had a small scratch on the crystal but it was brand new. Cost me $50.00 to buy it and a bit of tooth paste and a buff later, the scratch was gone. Like I said, stupid!

19E60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Emilio, it was in a sealed plastic bag with the same paperwork as my other Bestest. The only differences I can see between the two are the face does not have swiss made and the label on the top of the light grey box does not have it either.

Joe, I have the NF10433 and DG 10533. The little NF is used mainly on the mill and minilathe, the DG on the 12x36. The DG has been large enough for what I do.

EmilioG

Active User
Amazon.com has very good prices sometimes. I always check.
19E60: That is very odd about the Best Test w/o Swiss Made. Something isn't right about that. If you look at every Best Test DTI, they all have Swiss Made on the dial and case. Mikey, AFAIK, the Compac 214GA is still made and available for purchase, http://longislandindicator.com/p43.html
Great indicators. So glad you turned me on to these. I now have several 214GA's and 215GA's. They're jewels! That 523LA finally sold for $70.00 on Ebay. It looked pretty beat up, so I didn't want to chance it. Parts are rare and expensive. I'm sure it's a very good indicator. Great for lathe work I imagine.

Last edited:

mikey

Active User
Mikey, AFAIK, the Compac 214GA is still made and available for purchase, http://longislandindicator.com/p43.html
Great indicators. So glad you turned me on to these. I now have several 214GA's and 215GA's. They're jewels! That 523LA finally sold for $70.00 on Ebay. It looked pretty beat up, so I didn't want to chance it. Parts are rare and expensive. I'm sure it's a very indicator. Great for lathe work I imagine.
My error. I was under the impression the Imperial versions were being phased out. Good to know you can still buy them brand new.

Yeah, I saw that 523 finally sold. It might have been okay but it looked a bit rough. I offered him a lower price but he didn't bite. Took what, several months for someone to buy it. Hope that turns out okay for the buyer.

EmilioG

Active User
All inch reading Compac dial indicators, like your 523 have been phased out, which is a sad thing. I'm sure they were top notch DI's.
Maybe I'll get lucky.

mmcmdl

Staff member
I'm going to post 2 indicators for sale on here in a wee bit . They are not for the timid , but if you are looking for something that will last a few lifetimes here they are !

JoeC

Registered
Registered
Well, I can't believe there is no end to the questions. So I started to order a Noga DG Fine Base Adjust.
The choice is DG 10503 or 10533. They are 3/8 or 8mm.
Looks like the Compac 514 comes with 4mm and 8mm stems.
Looks like the Noga available here is the 3/8 model.

Are the dovetails the same on all indicators?
Is the dovetail clamp the same on both Nogas?
Do I need to order the 6mm, 8mm, 3/8, clamp attachment?

More enlightenment, please.
Thanks,
Joe

ddickey

I have the Noga NF61003 and the dovetails on my Shars and Compac both fit fine.

U

umahunter

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Don't know if this has been mentioned since I didn't read all the replies anyway when my interrapid started acting screwy I found msi viking gauge had brown and Sharpe best test indicators on sale for 50 percent off so I ordered one from them only to be disappointed that they were back orders 6 weeks so I ended up ordering a cheapie from shars to get my vise Trammed in they usually have some good sales on msi viking may be worth a look I got my mititoyo 6 inch digital calipers on sale tare and a mitutoyo 1 inch digital micrometer they have the best prices I've found on genuine products I've found some good prices on ebay but I'm afraid to order that stuff on there cause of the amount of knockffs and ebay doesn't really seem to care about people selling knockoffs as genuine products

Kamloopsendo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I just received a Compac 214GA - landed cost at the house $245 Cdn - not cheap but very nice unit smooth as silk so thanks for the lead Mikey,

JoeC

Registered
Registered
I received the Compac 214GA I ordered. Got here in about 5 days. Seems to be new and perfect.
Thanks for pointing it out, Mikey.
Noga should be here this week.
Thanks for everyones help.

Joe

mikey

Active User
You're welcome, guys.

EmilioG

Active User
Just got a reply from MSC. The best test dti’s are now made in China! If there isn’t a Swiss made label then it’s coo is China. All earlier models are Swiss. AFAIK Interapid, TesaTast, Compac are all Swiss. What a shame.

EmilioG

Active User
Tesa B&S Switzerland also confirmed that the Best Test is only 40% Swiss. Main components are Swiss made and then it's assembled in China, since early 2017.

EmilioG

Active User
Update: I purchased one of the Compac 214GAs from the above listed CDN EBay seller. I got it for a good discount since it was the last one. When it arrived, I could see that the dial face was a bit yellow, so I warranties it with Tesa.

Tesa replaced the unit. They sent me a brand new sealed 214GA. Turns out, it also had a broken bearing. Buyer beware.

The eBay seller just didn’t know. I was give an additional discount, but this update is a word of caution for those buying precision gages on EBay.

[6]
[5] [7]