Help me spend my money! It’s mill-shoppin’ time...

Thanks, Aaron.
I had considered most of the Grizzly machines and decided that they all were either too big, or had too many compromises I’d regret later. I took another look at the ones you suggested and came to the same conclusion again. That G0822 comes pretty darn close, but I really think the work envelope would prove to be too small. If you price it in terms of $/unit of work volume it’s actually a fairly pricey machine. That tall base unit just eats up too much space, it’s a shame. I do admire the space-saving configuration of the drivetrain, with the inverted motor hanging out in the back. In fact, I have toyed with the idea of rebuilding the PM835 into a similar configuration. The motor couldn’t go all the way at the back, the ram is too deep. But it could be hung to the left side of the head, just aft of the head bolts, which would allow access to all controls. Would have to reverse the motor rotation. Hmm, maybe that idea is back in contention... Although I’d be burning the warranty, I assume.

I’m definitely on board with multiple machines! One of my first complex projects, which is currently simmering on the back burner, will be a clockmaker’s lathe.

It's not easy when you have limited space, everything seems to turn into a compromise. :)

Last year I was looking at PMs bench mills up to the PM30 which was the absolute biggest I could fit without losing its full capacity, and at 6'4" fully extended that was pushing it, at 6' 10" the PM-932 was just too tall for me. I looked at a Millrite which looks like a small Bridgeport but even it would have been right up against the ceiling and tucked in between the floor joists greatly interfering with access to the head, drawbar, and ability to swing / tilt the head. These Grizzly mills seemed to fit me quite well, but the Clausing found me before I made any decisions (sometimes indecision is a good thing).

I thought the Grizzly G-731 compared quite well to the PM-30 and the PM-932 is just a pinch larger, but you are looking at the full frills version, and oddly Grizzly doesn't offer anything like that on the 8x30 mills only on smaller the 6x26 0822 which then does give up a lot of working space, particularly vertical travel.

When you start talking about fitting the head between the rafters, it seems like you really begin to limit the capabilities, that can and likely will interfere on your ability to tilt or swing the head which you do mention on the 835. It really is too bad that nobody currently seems to be offering a higher end "mini Bridgeport", it seems like there were plenty of options in the 70s and 80s.

It was suggested to me that I lower the floor...

Agreed, Mark.
If only I had the vertical clearance for the 835S. So I do have a question for you: if you were in my shoes, would you cut a big slice off the base of that machine to make it (sorta) fit?

I have also considered cutting a hole in the basement slab, excavating a bit, and pouring a new footing.

Be aware that many of the knee mills have a tall base so the screw has someplace to go when the knee is fully lowered. I know that is why the Grizzly's and many similar small knee mills are on tall cabinets, and I suspect that is why the 835 has a taller than typical base compared to other mills of that style.

The PM935 is a mini BP, well it's like a 2/3 size BP. Modern Tool offered this same size mill before PM did. Or were there even smaller ones?

http://www.moderntool.com/products/modern-model-935vs-1-milling-machine/

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-935ts-tv/

You're right, the 935 does look to be about the size of a Millrite (78" vs 81/83" tall). Most of the "1/2 Bridgeports" (Clausing, Rockwell, Grizzly etc) run 66-70" tall with the Rockwell the tallest of them at 73-1/2". With a 78" ceiling and hoping to find something used I became fairly familiar with machine heights. :grin:

It's not easy when you have limited space, everything seems to turn into a compromise. :)

Last year I was looking at PMs bench mills up to the PM30 which was the absolute biggest I could fit without losing its full capacity, and at 6'4" fully extended that was pushing it, at 6' 10" the PM-932 was just too tall for me. I looked at a Millrite which looks like a small Bridgeport but even it would have been right up against the ceiling and tucked in between the floor joists greatly interfering with access to the head, drawbar, and ability to swing / tilt the head. These Grizzly mills seemed to fit me quite well, but the Clausing found me before I made any decisions (sometimes indecision is a good thing).

I thought the Grizzly G-731 compared quite well to the PM-30 and the PM-932 is just a pinch larger, but you are looking at the full frills version, and oddly Grizzly doesn't offer anything like that on the 8x30 mills only on smaller the 6x26 0822 which then does give up a lot of working space, particularly vertical travel.

When you start talking about fitting the head between the rafters, it seems like you really begin to limit the capabilities, that can and likely will interfere on your ability to tilt or swing the head which you do mention on the 835. It really is too bad that nobody currently seems to be offering a higher end "mini Bridgeport", it seems like there were plenty of options in the 70s and 80s.

It was suggested to me that I lower the floor...

I think I’d be okay with a bench mill poking up into the rafter bay a bit, because I’d only be using the fully height occasionally, so the tilt would typically be available. In the very rare case I might want to tilt the head and also be near max height, I’d just have to work around that with a workpiece fixture.

Certainly with a knee mill, the vertical clearance just has to be there to have it function. Otherwise what’s the point?
I would have to deal with that by either cutting into the floor (see above my reply to Mark), or cutting down the base and drilling a jack screw clearance hole.

I like the 935 too- that tall base on the 835 freakques me out
But buy a bench mill if you must to stop the cravings, then perhaps upgrade later
I had limited space also, so I ended up with a small horizontal mill with an added vertical head- a hybrid that fits well in my garage

Last edited:
The PM935 is a mini BP, well it's like a 2/3 size BP. Modern Tool offered this same size mill before PM did. Or were there even smaller ones?

http://www.moderntool.com/products/modern-model-935vs-1-milling-machine/

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-935ts-tv/

I’ll have to be content to admire the 935 from a distance. An optioned 935S would run me about $1600 more than the 833TV or 835S. It seems like a very good value, but just outside my budget by quite a lot.

Also happens to be out of stock.

Be aware that many of the knee mills have a tall base so the screw has someplace to go when the knee is fully lowered. I know that is why the Grizzly's and many similar small knee mills are on tall cabinets, and I suspect that is why the 835 has a taller than typical base compared to other mills of that style.

For sure. If I were to cut down an 835S like I’ve been threatening, I’d drill a clearance hole in the slab for the screw. And sleeve the hole with a section of PVC pipe.

Back