Help me understand what to do next, bicycle shifter woes

Sounds encouraging. A lot to digest here.

Cable routing is external. There's a little plastic piece on the bottom of the frame where the crank is that's a cable guide.

From that video I linked to I'm pretty dead set against a total tear down. That looks like a great way to lose your mind.

The Shimano inner and outer gear cables, is there only one kind?
I'm happy to walk you through it, whatsapp video, skype etc. Once you've done it once it's easy to do.

This is what I'd buy
in fact I think I bought that exact set for my road bike before moving out to SC, shifting is beeeyoutiful. That reminds me, I need to do the same for my mountainbike, shifting is getting a bit stiff.

I'm happy to walk you through it, whatsapp video, skype etc. Once you've done it once it's easy to do.

This is what I'd buy
in fact I think I bought that exact set for my road bike before moving out to SC, shifting is beeeyoutiful. That reminds me, I need to do the same for my mountainbike, shifting is getting a bit stiff.
Thanks! While I'm buying stuff, anything else? Have a recommended bar tape? Will a heavy set of cutters be ok for the cable housing?

I think I will take you up on the walk through once I get the cable set. About to order it now.

As much as I like a new set of cables, I wouldn't go off changing them before you validate what the problem is.

And regarding cables, 9/10, it's the inner cable that needs to be changed, not the outer casing. You can fish a new inner cable through the old housing very easily. I wouldn't replace anything unless you at least try to assess the condition of the cables...and of course, spray down those shifter with WD-40, like suggested earlier.

Edit: on my bikes, I remove the inner cable about once per year, grease it, then reinstall it. It's about a 30 minute job, including readjusting the derailleurs. Just as long as the end of the cable isn't all frayed out, you can reuse it.

Last edited:
As much as I like a new set of cables, I wouldn't go off changing them before you validate what the problem is.

And regarding cables, 9/10, it's the inner cable that needs to be changed, not the outer casing. You can fish a new inner cable through the old housing very easily. I wouldn't replace anything unless you at least try to assess the condition of the cables...and of course, spray down those shifter with WD-40, like suggested earlier.
Since the shifter cables have never been changed, they are due. They are only $20, so not too bad. Will WD-40 attack the plastic or the bar tape?

I just checked my last can of WD40 spray. It's half full, but the spray nozzle is clogged. Nothing comes out :( Maybe I can get some new nozzles.

Release the inner cables at the derailleurs, and remove the crimped on anti-fray ferrule. Then start pulling the cable back towards the shifters. You should be able to grab the outer shifter casing where it comes out of the shifter, and pull the housing back away. If the inner cable is seized inside the outer housing, then you will have to pull hard to get the casing off. That's when you know for sure that you need to replace both inner wires and the outer casing. If the inner wire pulls out easily, the outer casing is okay.

What is likely to happen, is you will get the outer cable off, but the inner wire will be stuck inside the shifters. To remove the inner wires, the shifter needs to be shifted into the lowest gear position. Getting to that position will be a challenge unless the inner mechanism is free. That's where the WD-40 comes in...

Release the inner cables at the derailleurs, and remove the crimped on anti-fray ferrule. Then start pulling the cable back towards the shifters. You should be able to grab the outer shifter casing where it comes out of the shifter, and pull the housing back away. If the inner cable is seized inside the outer housing, then you will have to pull hard to get the casing off. That's when you know for sure that you need to replace both inner wires and the outer casing. If the inner wire pulls out easily, the outer casing is okay.

What is likely to happen, is you will get the outer cable off, but the inner wire will be stuck inside the shifters. To remove the inner wires, the shifter needs to be shifted into the lowest gear position. Getting to that position will be a challenge unless the inner mechanism is free. That's where the WD-40 comes in...
For these type of shifters, which lever shifts into the lowest gear position? How do I know I am in the lowest gear position?

The small inner lever is for downshifting. Jab that while pulling on the inner cable, until you can't shift any lower. You can also look at the shift barrel inside the shifter turn. As soon as you reach the lowest position, you will see the barrel of the cable come into view. I think you may have to remove a small phillips screw, and a cover on the shift barrel, before you can see the cable end.

WD-40 isn't good for bar tape. I'd wrap a rag around the shifter to catch the spray slop that will drip out.

Thanks! While I'm buying stuff, anything else? Have a recommended bar tape? Will a heavy set of cutters be ok for the cable housing?

I think I will take you up on the walk through once I get the cable set. About to order it now.
as others have said, I wouldn't worry about replacing the outers (black parts) right now, it's unlikely they need it after only 3k. You shouldn't need to replace the tape either, at least not to change the inner cable. I'm pretty free at the weekends, so that would work. In fact I just ordered the mtb equivalent of that set after I posted the link so that's probably what I'll be doing :)

Nesse1 - you're right, it might be something else, but these road bike shifters are known for fraying their cables due to the tight bend they make from the bit that holds the cable end to the housing that goes under the bar tape. In fact when I went into the bike shop to get a new inner after mine snapped the manager said "oh yeah, they all do that, don't leave it so long next time". Personally I also wouldn't spray WD40 in there either as I wouldn't want to wash out any grease from where its supposed to be or wash gunk into places where it shouldn't. These shifters really don't need maintenance, even the most basic Deore level ones last forever as long as you're not dunking them in the sea every ride.

as others have said, I wouldn't worry about replacing the outers (black parts) right now, it's unlikely they need it after only 3k. You shouldn't need to replace the tape either, at least not to change the inner cable. I'm pretty free at the weekends, so that would work. In fact I just ordered the mtb equivalent of that set after I posted the link so that's probably what I'll be doing :)

Nesse1 - you're right, it might be something else, but these road bike shifters are known for fraying their cables due to the tight bend they make from the bit that holds the cable end to the housing that goes under the bar tape. In fact when I went into the bike shop to get a new inner after mine snapped the manager said "oh yeah, they all do that, don't leave it so long next time". Personally I also wouldn't spray WD40 in there either as I wouldn't want to wash out any grease from where its supposed to be or wash gunk into places where it shouldn't. These shifters really don't need maintenance, even the most basic Deore level ones last forever as long as you're not dunking them in the sea every ride.
My cable housings are under the tape. And my handle bar tape does need replacing since it is torn in a couple of places. It gets messed up when being put in the trunk of my car. It always seems to catch on something on the way in and out of the trunk.

So any recommendations for some sort of cushioned tape? I currently have Bontrager gel cork tape. It's ok, at least with cycling gloves.

My cable housings are under the tape. And my handle bar tape does need replacing since it is torn in a couple of places. It gets messed up when being put in the trunk of my car. It always seems to catch on something on the way in and out of the trunk.

So any recommendations for some sort of cushioned tape? I currently have Bontrager gel cork tape. It's ok, at least with cycling gloves.

It's the brake cables that are under the tape. The shifter cables come out of the nose of the shifters.

That Bontrager cork tape sounds fine.

Back