Help With Lining Up A Lathe Tail Stock

Thank you for the advice guys I'm now on a mission. I didn't want to start a new thread with another question so I thought I would ask here. I don't have a dead center setup for my sheldon lathe. Should I invest in a backing plate setup as I plan to turn barrels ? Looking around I see people putting dead centers in their chucks with a dog is this a safe and reliable way to turn ?
Thanks again Ed
Don't put a center in your chuck: that won't work well at all. Put it in the taper in the spindle. Better yet, follow mmcmdl's advice and turn a center. Note that if you do so you can't just take that center out to put back and use again later. You'll need to turn it down again each time.

So the center plus into the spindle and the drive dog hooks into one of the holes the backplate uses ? I couldn't find anything on the D1-4 setup doing this.

Forget about that center ! Turn that barstock into a center . Mount your piece between the center you turned in your headstock and your live or dead center in your tailstock . You will be running true to your centers for turning . I do not recommend using a dead center at all ( in a lathe ) as this creates heat , and heat creates movement and expansion . Cylindrical grinding being an exception , dead centers are , well , dead . When you are done with the job , put your barstock next to your lathe . Next job , chuck it up in your lathe and reskim it thus being true once again . OR , buy a adjustable chuck which is quite expensive .

ebgb68 , if you are machining barrels , shoot me a pm . There's a lot more involved than throwing it between centers . I would be glad to help you out as I have time on my hands at the moment .

Stick a piece of bar stock in your chuck , turn a 60 degree center on it and do't remove it , drive your work with a dog . No runout . I've turned up to 120mm Howlizter (sp) barrels this way for the DOD .

We were taught this method and it works perfect for turning accurate work. Remove the center and you will have a heck of a time getting in zeroed again...but it is possible.

if you are machining barrels , shoot me a pm . There's a lot more involved than throwing it between centers . I would be glad to help you out as I have time on my hands at the moment .
With all do respect, mmcmdl, I'm very sure that a lot of other members would benefit from the help you're offering to egbg68 in a PM. Why not post the help here, so that we will all benefit from your gunsmithing knowledge. Hope I'm not offending, JR49

We were taught this method and it works perfect for turning accurate work. Remove the center and you will have a heck of a time getting in zeroed again...but it is possible.
The idea is to cut the center every time you put it in. Centers are a consumable.

Back