help with power feed on RF30 table

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am considering getting a power feed unit for the cross feed on my table. I have seen units on ebay from $150-$300. What should I be looking for? How many foot pounds of power do I need for this little table?

And what other questions should I be asking?

Cross feed ... are you talking about the X-axis or Y-axis?

I think that all of the imported drive units are the same, ubiquitous part. They have a mounting system (horizontal mount for RF-30), a gear train, a switch, a rate dial, and a rapids switch. I'd just find a good deal from a shipper that makes you comfortable and order the RF-30 kit. I bought mine from an eBay seller and am happy with it. I'd certainly miss it if it were gone, hard to imagine being without power feed now.

I am using the Align AL500D, made in Taiwan. Works good, more than enough power to handle any cut I've made so far on this mill. This unit has a decent reputation for reliability. They even have the manual in pdf now - have a look.

I have the same one as Mikey and love it.

The only thing I don't like is the soft stops. It takes a bit of fiddling around to get the feed to stop exactly where you want it to. Could be something I'm doing wrong but I don't use them very often anyways.

The only thing I don't like is the soft stops. It takes a bit of fiddling around to get the feed to stop exactly where you want it to. Could be something I'm doing wrong but I don't use them very often anyways.

Yeah, me neither.

Yeah, me neither.

To clarify, you both don't like the soft stops, or you both only rarely use them? Don't use the soft stops, or don't use the power feed?
I'm a little confused on reading it, maybe it's just me. Would both/either of you say the power feed is great to have or only seldom useful? Trying to decide where if I want to upgrade my mill with that feature.

Do it, you will love it. Soft stops are just electronic versions of the hard stops on either side of the table. Not used often so I never installed them.

Power feed is great to have and you will wonder how you did it before. I did not install the stops for the power feed, because I don't walk away from my mill while it is working. My trigger finger *is* the safety, that applies to machinery too.

Back