Help with using an abrasive saw on material

Brento

Registered
Registered
This is the saw i have and the blade that is on it. The first set of things cut ok but once i got to the 5/8" material. I am having a hard time cutting the steel. It looks almost like it is work hardening as i am cutting. Is there a different blade i can maybe use? I still have 3/4 hex material to cut and i do have a 5/16 416SS pces to cut?F7E0F9FD-49CA-47E2-BC9B-167BAE5F257B.jpeg22B7E78B-7D4D-4FF8-BDA5-C55C6DCF2D3D.jpeg9C5CA298-F24F-4E83-8298-2C2956742474.jpeg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from pictures, but a lot of times people are putting too much pressure on the saw. Moderate pressure it all that should be needed to cut steel with a chop saw. Let the abrasive blade do the work. Cutting wide flat-bar can be challenging . I'll often place the material in the saw with the side nearest the operator elevated to the blade is cutting into the material at more of an angle. I've worn out a couple of chop saws over the years. Now that I have my large horizontal band saw, I rarely use my chop saw anymore. It will probably pay for itself in a couple of years just by not having to buy abrasive discs.

My favorite abrasive blade was Pferd. Seemed to cut better than others and last longer.

So am i putting to much pressure and thats why its having a hard time cutting? At one point it seemed liked it just stalked out and would not go further into the steel

Is there a different blade that may work better? Could i get away with using some oil and it not making a huge mess? Can i also use maybe a thinner blade?

Could i get away with one of these instead or maybe a diamond blade?

Attachments

• 7A553C53-E072-48E9-AE6D-9C7FD7B8C322.png
    7A553C53-E072-48E9-AE6D-9C7FD7B8C322.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Like vocatexas I’ve had the same experience with abrasive saws. My theory it not only hardens the work I think it loads up blade with metal. It’s supposed to be “friable” in that it sheds material and exposes new grit. Loading it just fills up the pores with melted metal. I’ve taken blades like that and cut some angle iron and regained the edge. The metal blade you’ve got there I don’t think is made for the hi rpm an abrasive saw turns at. It says right on the blade 1800 rpm. Most abrasive saw turn about twice that fast. Please be safe.

The blade that is on there came with the saw. Would i be better off using a carbide tooth blade?

Most abrasive saw run at 3600rpm, carbide runs at 1800. So no.

Id love to use a bandsaw but to get money for one isnt in my near future so this chop saw is the best i can do or i am “hacking” it into pieces the very long and strenuous way.

Back