Help with using an abrasive saw on material

7/64” sounds like what we were using. I’ve used carbide cabinet blades on my table saw and mitre saw to cut aluminum, NOT STEEL.

Abrasive saws are good for 1\4 inch and thinner structural type of steel and tubing. I have not had very good luck with them on solid bar stock over about 3\4 of an inch. Tried it on an inch and half and could have cut it faster with a hack saw.

You definitely need to be careful and not in a hurry.

Wrong saw to try and use on aluminum. If you use the abrasive blade on aluminum you risk blowing up the blade and injury . The saw rmp is too high for a carbide saw blade. Use a hand hack saw until you can find a horizontal band saw

@Nutfarmer i wasnt going to use the abrasive on aluminum. I though of using a different blade until i found out the rpm situation.

Quick stupid question. Would i be better off getting one of these? 25305F05-81EE-42D7-956E-F46EF27B5F4E.png

The problem with that weak abrasive saw is that the blade is not cutting hard enough and it gets glazed. Then, it doesn't cut. It just wastes power and glazes more. If you want to cut larger bar stock, either use a band saw or a real abrasive saw. The real abrasive saws are not under-powered. They have a 3 phase induction motor and multiple belts

A good bi metal hack saw blade can make a world of difference. I can appreciate the frustration on not always having what we need to make the job easier. Slowly and surely we accumulate more tooling as we can. Good luck on your project

Back