Helpless Female Needing Assistance With Bearings

It looks like you have your answer. Just don't do it like the shade tree mechanic.

Susan, look up "Baldor Motor Maintenance Lubrication Technology" on the net. Hope that will help. Mark

Hi Susan, John is correct- you have a lathe, you can probably make a small cylindrical tool to push the bearings out using a press. Or something press-like
mark
Hi Mark, I am still a newbie. Plus, I thought it would be convenient to have a range of sizes already at hand, just in case.
I have made many friends in the last couple of years who are very experienced older machinists. They are another reason why I have so much stuff (in addition to me finding deals and getting stuff for free from my liquidator friend Gary). Anyways, my friend George, who is moving out of state and getting rid of a lot of stuff, gave me, literally, gazillions of woodworking and metalworking books yesterday. Many of these books are pre WWII. He also gave me a milling attachment for a 12 inch Atlas lathe when I don't even own such a lathe! Anyways, George also spent some time explaining that a good project for me would be to make a set of bushing drivers/presses since many of my machines use bronze bushings. So, I actually have my heart set out on doing that specifically, lol

I think I have a good website name that I registered, but I still need to make the site. It will be called makerlair.com

Since I have SOOOOOOO much stuff that I don't need, including duplicate vintage books thanks to George, I was thinking about just posting the stuff I have on the site in hopes of making sales without ebay fees. One book that I have a duplicate of is actually my favorite book. It is called Advanced Machine Work, by Robert H. Smith.
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Machine-Work-R-H-Smith/dp/0917914236

My liquidator friend Gary buys large quantity stuff at machine shop auctions It is common for him to buy 8-10 Bridgeports or gigantic lathes at one auction. He often throws away in his scrap dumpster PERFECTLY GOOD stuff. I dumpster dived when I saw he threw in there over 50 pieces of vintage lathe toolholders of various sizes where many were Williams and Armstrong. When I visited him this week, I pulled out a Quantrex heated ultrasonic cleaner out of his dumpster, and asked him what's wrong with it. He replied, "Nothing. You can take it if you want."

I also pulled out a dozen neoprene covered 6 inch wide rollers that Gary said were brand new. A lightbulb went off in my head about listing this type of stuff on my site. The rollers would be sold for cheap (hell, they were free for me), and would be good for a maker. Someone could easily build a homemade belt sander with nice traction with the rollers, but they wouldn't get the idea until they actually see it on my website. I also pulled out a rubber covered drive roller that was 13 inches wide with a sprocket gear at the end. Someone out there could make a conveyor belt for a drum sander with that. All they have to do is just see it on my site to realize that. So, that is enough of my rambling that was not connected to anything on this post, lol.

Here is a pic of me and Gary at my very first machine auction (not my greatest pic, sorry) I was taken aback at literally being the only female anywhere. At that auction, I bought my first Baldor grinder and pedestal for $175 :)
gary_and_me.jpg

Last edited:
You will need a puller to pull the bearings of the shaft of motor. A 2 jaw puller should work. To put them on either a press or pipe as stated touching only on the inner race.
Good luck.
Hi Cadillac,
I am in the process of buying a good set of gear pullers. The piece of crap gear puller I got from Harbor Freight fell apart. No one to blame but me for buying from that store...

Hi,
Is this what you are referring too? https://www.mile-x.com/baldor-340-dental-lathe/

If so dismantle and will be a real simple job. Probably has standard size bearing and if just shielded I'd replace with -2RS.
About all you will need is a hammer and a pin punch.
Yup, mine looks like that, except the side pieces have a little surface rust. It also came with some sort of portable dust collector that you would place behind the wheel. I only got 1 so I'd have to move it to the other wheel if needed. Got these 2 items off craigslist for $40, and I made a friend from the seller. I told him I'd hook him up with a DC motor and PWM for his South Bend 9 for $100. I like to be nice to nice people :)

As as motorcycle mechanic in my mid 20's to 30's I replace many a bearing drifting it in with a small drift punch taking care to not scar the shaft or touch the ball bearing. Light hammering the drift as you move it around the inner race slowly working it down.

Another method I have used replacing the bearing on a Craftsman 150 drill press motor was to put the armature in the freeze and place the new bearing on a small wattage candelabra light bulb to gently heat up the bearing. Then drift the bearing on per previous paragraph or find a suitable piece of iron pipe that will only put force on the inner race and slowly press/drift the bearing on.

Best of luck on learning something new!
Thanks Harry. That armature freezer suggestion sounds totally do-able. I will keep that in mind.
I found this bearing set. Am I getting close to the bearing drifts that I am looking for? I really try to not be half ass with bearings.Screenshot_2018-09-26-14-35-58.png That is another reason why I want a proper set at hand.

Back