Hendey Refurbish #3

From what I've seen of your posts, you could take an old pitchfork and make it work!

Bruce

Thanks... but not really... I just try to figure out the best way to fix problems and dive in headfirst. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't, but if something is broke, it's no good like it is, anyway. Might as well try something. I usually have a backup plan ahead of time... just in case...

-Bear

oboy, @628bear you do fantastic work! What a great hobby, saving old works of art from destruction - perhaps a wife can agree! :tranquility:

Have you rehabbed or even seen a 9x24 tool and gage lathe? They look very interesting. Dave

Have you rehabbed or even seen a 9x24 tool and gage lathe? They look very interesting. Dave

No, I've never seen one except in pictures. They are supposed to be very good lathes.

They do look interesting, but fairly rare, I think.

-Bear

I had a couple of hours of free time tonight, so I chucked up a chunk of steel and began machining a knob for the cross feed clutch...20211210_213209.jpg

It will look like this when it's finished...

20211210_213737.jpg

...without the dents...

I don't have a course knurling tool, so the knurling won't be the same, but that's ok with me.

I have to make two more, one for the longitudinal feed clutch, and one for the taper attachment. All three are the same on the front side, but different on the back. The longitudinal clutch knob is shorter on the back, and the TA knob has a gear pressed into it.

I had already machined a gear for the knob on Hendey #2... luckily, I had machined the gear teeth on the blank long enough for two gears...

20211210_214409.jpg

...so I can use this for the new gear on #3.

-Bear

The cross feed clutch knob keys to a 7/16" shaft with a woodruff key... when the old aluminum knob was 'adapted' to this shaft, the woodruff key was filed down flush with the shaft. I tried repeatedly to tap it out with a sharp punch, and couldn't get it to move at all.

So this afternoon, I set it up in the milling machine using my carefully calibrated eyeball and drilled a 0.080" hole in the backside of the shaft down to the back of the key, then used a 1/16" punch to tap the key out from the back. It was stuck pretty tight...

20211213_140046.jpg

It worked out pretty good... this allowed me to remove the old key without destroying the shaft. I have some new keys ordered.

I'll finish the knob sometime this week, and start on another.

-Bear

I managed to find a few minutes free this afternoon, so I worked on the cross feed clutch knob...

20220101_202708.jpg

I'm almost finished... I just need to broach the keyway in the ID... I have a broach, but will have to machine a bushing to fit the hole.

I'll probably wait until I finish the carriage feed clutch knob and broach both of them at the same time.

-Bear

This morning I machined a bushing for the 3/16" broach...

20220103_103542.jpg

Then went ahead and broached the keyway in the knob...

20220103_103557.jpg

20220103_114007.jpg

The knob fits the shaft like it was made for it...

I need to buy some 7/16" nuts, now. I'll add that to my McMaster order.

-Bear

Back