• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today will be spent designing the new Tool Holder to accept the 5C Collets. I will be using most of the Bonelle design for this as no casting is required. Martin Models has a enlarged casting for this also. I chose the 5C Collet for its size and also that square holders are available.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not going to be as taxing as I thought. The Bonelle is pretty much what I am after. It uses a 15 mm collet. All I have to do is enlarge it to fit the 5C collet. So far this is what I have. Someday maybe I will learn CAD but for now to me this is fine.

"Billy G"

102_0317 (800 x 531).jpg

Smart move going to a 5C collet. They're cheap and plentiful, and the larger size will come in real handy for some larger end mills. I have an 1 1/2" endmill x 3/4" shank that I might ask you to sharpen once all is said and done. You can even use it as your guinea pig if you want.:)) The large size might help you dial it in.

Marcel

Last edited:
Banner Day today. My bearing distributor came thru with Timken Tapered Roller Bearings and Timken seals. These are for the Wheel Head.

"Billy G"

102_0318 (800 x 531).jpg

It will work. All the parts except for the indexing pin are in there.

"Billy G"

102_0319.JPG

Our local sharpener retired a couple of years ago. Sold off all his equipment before anyone reliased it. Started building one from the home shop machinest plans April-June 2013. The Bonell has me interested, Time to rethink before more scrap is made. Will try to keep track of things, and keep you posted.

Billy--is it necessary to build, from scratch, all the components in your drawing? Or might it be possible to adapt any number of vertical/horizontal 5C indexers (whole or in part) in order to save fabrication time?

Andy, I like to do things the hard way. It keeps me going. I will probably change it a few times during the build. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Tony, same as me, a half a bubble off. :lmao::lmao: I only dropped it once, honest. :panic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I must like doing things the hard way, too. Guess it is the lazy side of me (we all have our dark side :)) ) that automatically makes me look for an easy way out, usually finding something, used, with which I can make do. I've seen a wide range of prices on indexers, some of which looked like they could be made to work. Maybe it is that same lazy side that subconsciously helped me choose my screen name. :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back