• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, that's where you saw it. Gives a positive lock.

"Billy G"

I am patiently waiting on the division portion of this project. I am really enjoying this project Bill!!

sent from my hand held hickymajig

I am patiently waiting on the division portion of this project. I am really enjoying this project Bill!!

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Me tooooooooo. I have to do that when I am sure there will be no interruptions.

Today I am fitting the 5C collet to the Mandrel. Deep drilling for sure. The first hole is 1/2 inch dia. and goes all the way thru. (4 3/4 inches) The picture of the drill shows the hand ground (100 degrees) and thinned web. These two grinds take the load off the point when chips start to bind the drill. Actually it takes the load off throughout the whole drilling operation. The picture is of the drill after the hole was drilled.

Because the drill is not long enough to go thru without going past the flutes I drill in about 2/3 of the drill. I then swap to a 58 dia. drill and drill to the same depth. Now I swap back to the 1/2 inch dia. drill and drill thru. Put the 5/8 back in and drill to 5.8 inches of break out. I now have the thru hole and the bottom of the bore.

"Billy G"

102_0424 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0425 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work,Bill.

Those type locks are also used on the vertical posts of the 4 post Asian thickness planers. I had to make a few for the maintenance shop's 15" Jet planer. Somehow they lost some working on it.

Binders are used extensively in the industry.

The 5C collet fits prefect on its straight part. Tomorrow I will put the angle in.

"Billy G"

102_0426 (800 x 531).jpg

Were the drill's so you could get a boring bar in? Thats a tapered bore yea? Did you use that hone after you bored it?

Nice wor

It had to be drilled to 5/8 of an inch to get a sturdy boring bar in. Only the front of that bore is tapered. Pulling straight back and into the taper closes the collet. The hone was used to clean up the last .003 and lose some machining marks. Even with the Steady Rest in that position there was some chatter.

"Billy G"

Nice. Thanks for taking the time for explanations. Understanding things before you need them, keeps you ahead of the class.

Good morning all. For your viewing pleasure this morning we will be using an old school tool, the "Hermaphrodite Caliper" It is called this because it can be used as an inside, outside or half and half caliper. Today we use half and half. The curved arm goes into the bore while the pointed straight arm scribes the line. Just start the lathe and there is your line. They can be used this way also on the edge of a part regardless of its shape. If you don't have any of these, they will come in handy if you can find a set.

"Billy G"

102_0429 (800 x 1204).jpg 102_0428 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0427 (800 x 531).jpg

The collet fitting is a done deal. Five things left. #1 Graduations, #2 Lock out pin for index pin, #3 Flats on mandrel to lock Division ring, #4 Location pin in mandrel for 5C collet, and #5 hand wheel to close collet. This is quite sophisticated. It's more than I expected.

"Billy G"

102_0430 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0431 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back